Nekomata!Ichimatsu x Reader

In your village, it was an unspoken rule to not go outside at night. More and more people seemed to follow this train of thought as a rumour circled around the village of a half-human creature.

To you, it just seemed silly. They probably just saw a tree branch's waving during the windy nights. Still, you followed everyone else's lead. You didn't have much reason to go outside at night anyway. 

After a hard day's work it came to be nightfall, the heavy clouds covering the village like a blanket of darkness. You were on your way back home when you realised how quiet it was. All that could be heard were the sound of your footsteps and the rustling of leaves being blown in the wind.

You crossed your arms across your chest, breathing out slowly. The gusty breezes were giving you chills, or perhaps that was due to the feeling of fear that you were trying to ignore.

Unconsciously your footsteps had quickened. Although you told yourself you weren't scared of some rumour, it seemed your body had a will of its own as your speedy walk turned into a fast-paced jog. 

You hated it. The street was too wide, and the absence of sounds only made you more paranoid. A rumbling echoed from above; a telling that it was sure to storm. 

That wasn't the only noise you heard. During your desperate run you heard the quiet mewling of an animal.

Forcing yourself to stop, you peeked into an alleyway, seeing a cat emerge from in between the rubbish. You eyed it wearily, your heart still pounding from the fears you had inflicted upon yourself.

The cat approached, meowing at your feet. You looked down at it, heart still thudding. You wanted nothing more than to just run home right now, but who knows how long this poor little cat was staying here alone?

Rummaging around in your bag, you pulled out an umbrella and perched it in between two cardboard boxes someone and left, making sure it was kept steady. Kneeling down slightly, you stroked the top of its fluffy head.

"Sorry, I don't have anything else." You apologised with a frown. The cat meowed in reply. The thunder had gotten louder.

With that, you exited the alleyway and ran back to your house, unaware of the extra presence watching you carefully in the shadows.

Shutting the door shut and locking it, you leaned your back against it and let out a breath you didn't know you were holding. It seems you had joined in on the belief of the half-human creature who roamed the village at night... 

You sighed, deciding to call it a night, hearing the downpour of rain outside.

                               __________________________________________

When the sun rose up again, last night's terrors felt like a distant memory. You felt a bit silly for seriously believing something like a fairy tale creature was actually real. 

As you let yourself wake up, you couldn't help but think back to last night's events. Something didn't feel right... But you couldn't tell what.

'If I go back there, it'll probably resolve it.'  You thought to yourself, opening up your cupboards. 'I can visit that little cat, too.'

And so you left your home in favour of visiting the alleyway. You tried to tell yourself that there of all places would be scary at night, but there was a feeling you just couldn't shake off. Desperate to remove this uneasy feeling, you forced yourself to go. 

The cat was sleeping peacefully, curled up under the umbrella you has given it. 

It opened its eyes as it heard you come near. You smiled at it sniffed the air, perching down to push a tray of fish towards it.