Chapter 2: Nia's Gift To Naruto

"I see... Itachi, huh?" Nia lowered her eyes as she felt her heart sink a little.

"Yeah, we need more information out of a member of the Akatsuki so we decided to detain Itachi." Naruto told her while they stood at the front of a classroom in the academy, "That also means... I'll be gone again."

"Yeah..." Nia was disappointed yet understood what the blonde needed to do, "I know."

Seeing her slight distress, Naruto brushed a hair away from her face then lightly pressed his fist against her cheek causing her to smile and look at him.

"You're not mad, are ya?"

"No, just a little disappointed. You just got back and you're leaving so soon. I wanted to spend time with you."

"Well, I think we're leaving in a few days. We can spend those days together if you want." The blonde told her as he grabbed her hand gently, "You wanna go on a date?"

However, feeling something strange on her skin, Naruto looked down to see multiple bandages covering her hand and fingers. The same was so on her other hand.

"Your hands... what happened to it? You're hurt." He asked in concern as Nia gasped and pulled it away from him then hid both of them behind her.

"I-It's nothing. Don't worry about it, I'm fine."

"Did someone hurt you?!"

"No," The girl told the truth, "I was working on something but kept getting clumsy and my hand paid the price for it."

"Nia." The blonde didn't seem to believe her story.

"It's true," She claimed, "These past two weeks I've been working on a project so to say."

"What project?"

"I'll show you later. Hopefully, you'll like it." Nia softly smiled.

Naruto crossed his arms, "I don't know, this all seems fishy if you ask me, ya know?"

He then noticed the slight redness in the kunoichi's eyes and the overall fatigued look she displayed in her mannerisms and appearance.

"Sweetie, have you slept at all? Now that I'm really looking at you, you look exhausted. Like very tired. You have bags under your eyes and your eyes are a bit red."

"Sorry about that. I just haven't been able to really go asleep as of late. I've just been working really hard on my project. It's finished and it took me the last two weeks and numerous hours to get it done, but it finally is perfect."

"Woah, that's all you were doing while I was gone? Nothing else?"

Nia replied, "No, I've been doing other things like doing this substituting thing like I was today, helping Ino with her flower shop, taking the time to refine my taijutsu and ninjutsu, and just a few other things. The main one was me working on the project though. It was my top priority."

Naruto sighed, "Nia, let's get you home then so you can rest. It's obvious you hardly gave yourself a break. You look so tired, I feel like you could faint at any second."

"But Naruto," The girl pouted, "You just came back after so long. I don't care if I'm exhausted, let's spend time together. We can go on the date you mentioned."

"No, we can do that tomorrow," The blonde gently grabbed her wrist and began dragging her along with him, "Lets get you home. You're exhausted and hurt."

"But Narutooo..." Nia continued to complain then broke out his hold and hugged him from behind, "Pleaaaasee? I waited all this time to see you and you're leaving in a few days. Let's go on a date, honey."