Chapter 40

"Wake," Max pressed a kiss to my lips, "Up," and another, "Schatje," and another.

I put my hand up to shield my face before rolling away, letting out a groan. "Max," I whined, rubbing my eyes. Slowly I opened them to see Max hovering over me, a small smile at his lips.

"Good morning." he reached for my hand and intertwined our fingers.

"Why are you up before your alarm?" I asked, rather annoyed at having my sleep disturbed. "I need my beauty sleep."

Max let out a small chuckle. "Don't be silly, schatje. You don't need any more beauty sleep. And I woke up before my alarm accidentally and then let you have an extra hour lie-in."

I shot up in my seat, taking Max by surprise. Quickly, I grabbed my phone from its charger on my bedside table and checked the time - 7:53. My alarm was supposed to wake us up at seven since I wanted to get into the garage early. I guess that idea is off the table.

"Don't give me that look." Max said, pointing a finger in my face. "You were exhausted last night. An extra hour won't hurt your strategy."

I hummed in acknowledgment and stood up out of bed. My bare feet hit the cold floor and sent a shiver through my body, despite the warm air. Max also got out of bed and followed me into the kitchen.

"Did you want a bowl?" I asked as I opened the cupboard, not bothering to look at him. When he didn't answer, I turned to find him staring at me, an odd look on his face. "What?"

Max snapped out of his daze and met my eyes. "Are you mad at me?"

"Wha- why would I be mad?" I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion, shutting the cupboard door so that I could move closer to him.

"I dunno." Max shrugged. "Maybe because I didn't wake you up when you wanted."

"I mean, I wasn't happy about it but I'd probably be grateful for the extra hour later." I wrapped my arms around his neck and pressed a slow kiss to his lips. His hands dropped to my waist and help me closer to his body. When I pulled away from the kiss, I rested my head against his chest. Max then rested his chin on top of my head and let out a deep breathe.

"After the race, I'm going to take you for dinner. I just want to celebrate, even if I don't win." Max chuckled, which I could feel through the rumbling of his chest.

"We can celebrate when Force India kick Red Bull's ass today." I grinned up at him as he scoffed.

Max picked began to twirl a section of my hair in his fingers. "It's cute how you think that's going to happen."

"It's cute how you think it won't." I retorted, sweeping my hair to the other side that he couldn't play with it. Max raised an eyebrow and I copied his expression, biting my bottom lip to stop myself from laughing.

"You need to stop teasing me." Max said, his eyes flickering to my lips and then back up. "I don't know how much more I can take before..." he trailed off as he stared into my eyes.

"Well," I began, walking my fingers up his chest. I gave him the most seductive look I could muster before leaning up so my lips were next to his ear. "You should've thought of that before you didn't wake me. I can't be any more late."

I pulled back with a cheeky grin and dodged as Max tried to grab my waist. I moved so that we were opposite sides of the kitchen counter. Max made a move to go left, so I went right, which only seemed to increase his frustrations. Anyway he went, I went the opposite.

I let out a laugh when I turned on the kitchen tap and sprayed water at him. Granted, some did get on the floor, but other than that it was an amazing shot. Max didn't seem to agree and pointed a finger at me. "I'm going to get you, schatje."