Chapter 70

Tensions were high in the team at the first race weekend to kick off the second half of the season. The news that Force India will have to start the point system at zero had quickly reached the other teams, much to the enjoyment of Red Bull. They were almost certainly guaranteed third in the constructors championship unless they were to have an atrocious run of races, which, with their current engine, still probable.

The team felt divided with uncertainty over the future of 'Racing Point Force India' - will it continue with Sahara's high performance into the next season? Although it wouldn't affect me since I would no longer be apart of the team, I was still friends with my mechanics, engineers, strategists and all of those who have helped me the past year. I have so much love and respect for them and I'm genuinely going to miss them next season. I'm just going to have to make the remaining races the best that I possibly can.

The last time I raced at Spa, there was a tragic accident where we, the racing community, lost one of our own. Some people told me I was 'lucky' to have avoided being a part of it, however that isn't the term I would use. It was chance that allowed me to get a better line into the first few corners, setting me up so that I was amongst the front runners, definitely not luck. It was a permanent black cloud looming over everyone here. I, along with quite a few other drivers, were not looking forward to the sadness. Just being on the track made me think of Anthoine. Although we were not close friends, every race driver has an unspoken respect for those they race with and an accident that results in a tragic passing is bound to have a negative impact on them all. We race to keep Anthoine's spirit and energy alive.

After a frustrating set of practice sessions on the Friday where I only had a total of twenty minutes on track because of a steering issue and then rain during FP2, I decided that I needed to have a break from running through my data. My engineer, Emanuel, had actually dismissed me as I physically couldn't absorb any more information. I had become so much more reliant on him since Robert was gone.

Before stepping out into the rain, I opened my light pink umbrella so that my clothes didn't get wet. The rain wasn't as bad as it had been during practice, but it was still enough that if I stayed in it for too long without the umbrella, I would become soaked through. Since the weather was unpleasant, the majority of people were either inside or under the marquees which had been set up by the workers at the Spa Francorchamps.

I wandered aimlessly around, just listening to the soft patter of the rain against the top of my umbrella. My eyes kept glancing down to my hand that held the umbrella - the ring that Max had gotten me glistened on my fourth finger proudly. I had refused to take it off even when I drove the car. Luckily, it was small enough to fit in my glove without causing any discomfort. My bracelet, however, that Max got me for my birthday, had to remain in my changing room as the charms often got caught on my suit and Emanuel started to get annoyed even in the first half of the season.

I heard footsteps running behind me and didn't think anything of it until there was suddenly an arm wrapping around my waist. I jumped about a mile in the air and it felt as if my heart had stopped beating. My head whipped around immediately to see a grinning Aussie so I stopped in my tracks. "Hey, Lys."

"Dude!" I exclaimed, looking at him with wide eyes. "At least make your presence known before you grab me, yeah? I thought you were some criminal or something."

Daniel chuckled. "Sorry, love. I'm way too good looking to be a criminal, though."

"Keep telling yourself that."

"The only thing I'm guilty of is stealing the hearts of the people." Daniel dramatically said, his hand gesturing to a group of people not too far from the entrance of the Red Bull centre. I couldn't help but roll my eyes at him, although was unable to hold back a smile. His voice then dropped and he swallowed hard. "How are you feeling?"