Deep In the Meadow(Seventy-One)

Edited 10/30/18

Can you believe we're already at Seventy-One chapters? I sure can't!

That night the babies woke up three or four different times. I was so entirely exhausted that when they started crying again, both of them mind you, I hardly heard it. It was like a sound in the back of my mind, far away from here.

I continued to sleep though they continued to cry. I could not find the strength within me to open my eyes, let alone calm them down and put them back to sleep.

This goes on for another ten minutes before another sound reaches my ears. It's a soft singing coming from the twins' cribs. I can just hear the lyrics and at first I don't recognize the tune.

Deep in the meadow, under the willow
A bed of grass, a soft green pillow
Lay down your head, and close your eyes
And when they open, the sun will rise

I take a sharp intake of breath because I finally recognize it. It took a little while to register in my tired brain, but I'd recognize it anywhere. It's Annabeth's lullaby. I open my eyes and groggily sit up. It takes a little while for my eyes to adjust to the darkness, but I can see Ariana, standing there leaning over the cribs, in her pajamas. She's singing them Annabeth's lullaby.

Here it's safe, and here it's warm
Here the daisies guard you from every harm
Here your dreams are sweet, and tomorrow brings them true
Here is the place where I love you

It touches me very deeply that she remembers it so clearly and that when I wouldn't, she got up to calm them down. A lump forms in my through as she sings another verse, her voice that of an angels'.

Deep in the meadow, hidden far away
A cloak of green, a moon beam ray
Forget your woes and let your troubles lay
And when again it's morning, they'll wash away

The babies are asleep now and Ari rubs her eyes tiredly and begins walking back to her bunk. On her way she finishes the song.

Here it's safe, here it's warm
Here the daisies guard you from every harm
Here your dreams are sweet, and tomorrow brings them true
Here is the place where I love you.

Hello everybody! I haven done an A/N in a long time. So how's the story going so far? There is a scene coming up in a little while that I've been planning for forever so I'm super excited about that. Anyway, the song as some of you may have noticed, is from The Hunger Games. It is not mine. It is also the only song I can think of. Maybe we can pretend that Annabeth came up with it or something and then it got passed on from generation to generation and then one day Katniss learns it and later used it to calm Rue. Who knows.

Anyway, enjoy the story and remember to vote and comment! Love you demigods:)