20 July, 2019.

Today was interview day. After a really long time.

I woke up at 8:30AM, printed my CV and organised my portfolio. Took a little longer than I would have liked.

I prepared my resume explanation speech and then went through some docs and presentations to refresh my memory and support my work.

My interview was scheduled for 4PM so I obviously planned to reach before that time. I didn't have a lot of trouble finding the place, having indirectly scouted the area yesterday. Frankly, it was a little intimidating entering the corporate space.

I was asked by the receptionist to wait until someone came to me, after getting a not-so-polite response from whoever he called. So I sat at one of the seats, directly in front of another woman. I tried smiling at her but she had her bitch face on so I decided not to even try conversing with her. I wasn't sure if she was there for an interview or not but my questions were answered when I heard her talk to someone on the phone. Apparently she was waiting for her client who worked at the company we were in.

We sat there for a good 15 mins until the woman initiated a conversation. Huh, looks like she wasn't so rude afterall. We spoke about our purpose of visit and a little about ourselves. She was from another company and was waiting for her client for more than 20 mins and was beyond pissed cause she had other things to tend to as well. I learnt that she had just completed her MBA so we got talking about that until her client arrived and she had to leave.

I was seated in the waiting area and I could not see the main office whatsoever. But looking at the number of people I saw go in and out of the office, I figured they had a pretty big work space. I looked around the office waiting area and watched people either leave for a break or for their homes. The office seemed to have a lot of staff and there were a mix of both generations. Somehow, I began panicking about fitting in with everyone. But then again, I've always had that problem.

I was wondering why nobody came to get me yet but thought maybe it's just a patience test. A little before 4:30PM, another guy from my college turned up. He was that "good orator/debator" of our college who was one of the candidates for my previous interview as well. So I guess he didn't get the job. And it was through him that I learnt that none of the ones who were shortlisted that day got it either. What a bummer. I have no idea what exactly those guys were looking for if none of us got it.

After sometime, another guy from college arrived. He was one of those students who had gone abroad for the third year so we got talking about that. I never really spoke to the two in college before, even though the second guy seemed friendly. But I guess, if you're made to sit together in a foreign place, you're bound to make at least some small talk.

Anyways, it was only when these two guys (whose interviews were at 4:30PM) got here that the interview co-ordinator came to greet us. She was surprised to see me. Apparently she wasn't informed that I was already here. Okay, so I waited for around 45 mins without them knowing that I'm here? She probably already rejected me on the basis of unprofessionalism.

Anyways, my interviewer arrived and he was not who I thought I'd meet. I was asked to meet with a woman who was one of the Senior level managers but that did not happen. And he took my interview in the waiting area itself citing "lack of rooms" which I found quite strange. We did sit a little away from the other two candidates but I'm pretty sure they could here every word of the interview.

I'm not really sure how the interview went. I came here having little to no knowledge about the job profile. Frankly, the reason why I applied was because it was a big name and the application message didn't mention "marketing" or "sales" whatsoever. It was actually supposed to be a management position. And if it's a bank, they got to have some Finance positions too, right?

Anyways, my interviewer asked me to explain my CV and quizzed me more about my Research Paper. I think I answered them pretty well. And then we came to the JD and it wasn't what I was expecting whatsoever. I don't even know what do you call this position, I just understood that it involved a lot of ideas and creativity. Finally we came to the topic that has always been difficult in almost all of my interviews - my interest in Finance. My interviewer frankly told me that the role won't help me in Finance.

The interview ended with the same "I'd like to try out other things to figure my interests and aptitude".

I spoke a little with the second (friendly) guy for a while. He told me that he was asked to give this interview and apparently the opportunity came out of the "Dean's office".

Anyways, it was raining when I came out of the office and since I forgot to bring my umbrella, I decided to wait it out for a while.

I couldn't discuss much with my parents immediately cause there was a death in my family.

Personally, I don't know how I feel about this job yet. I've never really been the "creative one", I feel like execution is more my thing. Besides, I don't even know whether this is a job or an internship. Let's see if they call for a second interview.