Ever since

It took a near-death experience for Lucy Heartfilia and Natsu Dragneel to meet.

In a public pool in the middle of the hot summer, full of families with little children, Lucy found herself playing alone with her doll. Her mother had just gone to go grab her towel and her father had stayed in his office, working. He was always working, but Lucy, the little four years old, wasn't mad. She was happy because her mommy said they were a happy family.

"Mommy says I should be happy, so I am happy." Lucy murmured to her doll. When it didn't respond, she puffed her big, red cheeks in annoyance. Normally, a maid or her mother would answer back to her.

"Lucy, come here!" She heard her mom, so she smiled brightly at her and made her way over the stairs of the pool. There were so many people. She couldn't even count them! So many happy families were there... And in all of them, there was a daddy.

"I'm going!" she shouted back, pushing softly some kids to make her way. So many people...

Near the stairs, Lucy felt her foot slip. Her mother had told her to be careful, since sometimes pools could be very tricky and make her fall. She wished she'd been more alert. The part she was on wasn't deep, and she was near the stairs... But she fell before she could reach them, and her head hit with the floor.

Her vision turned black and she couldn't breath. Lucy didn't understand what was happening. Where was the superfici and where was the floor? What happened with her doll? Was Michelle okay?

She thought she heard some shouts, her mom's scared voice. But she wasn't sure. Everything felt dizzy.

And when she couldn't anymore, when she was going to close her eyes because she suddenly wanted to take a nap, someone lifted her.

Suddenly, she was coughing and fighting for air. Her head was spinning. She opened her eyes and saw a kid with big eyes and... pink hair? How unfair, she always dreamed of having pink hair.

"Lucy, Lucy!" It was her mommy. Her voice sounded worried. Why was she worried? She felt how the boy moved and dragged her along. When they reached the stairs, her mother took her from his arms and laid her down in the cold floor.

"Mommy?" Lucy asked, worried. Some water slipped from her mouth. Why was that? It worried her even more.

Another man, with bright red hair and an ugly beard in her opinion, came over them and started to push her chest roughly, making her cough more water. Lucy started to cry.

"Don't cry," Her mom said, patting her head. "Everything's gonna be okay,"

And Lucy believed her, because Layla Heartfilia was always right.

She didn't know how much time passed, probably barely a minute, before the old man stopped pushing her chest and water stopped coming from her mouth. She started to breathe normally again, though her head hurt a little and she was very scared.

Her mother hugged her tightly against her chest, and Lucy saw some tears dripping from her eyes. Lucy cried more.

"Daddy, why are they crying?" Lucy heard the pink-haired boy ask the old man. They both, and all the people in the public pool, looked at them; some with soft smiles and others with worry. Kids didn't look at them, just kept playing in the water. The boy who saved her was the only looking at them with confusion written all over his rounded face.

"Because they are still scared, son." The man with the ugly beard explained.

Layla broke the hug and looked at her Lucy, who was staring at her savers. The woman wiped the tears from both faces and stood up, smiling warmly at the man and the boy. She took Lucy's little hand in hers and said;