New Wand and the 'Mdinight Duel'

Brooklyn had been called back to Dumbledore's office for his new wand the next day while Harry and Ron went off to their first lesson.

While on his way, Brooklyn had gotten lost in the maze of hallways after catching himself staring at everything again.

When he felt like giving up trying to find the office, he was startled out of his skin by a ghost that floated through the wall. He was a portly looking ghost that wore ruffles on his shirt.

The ghost noticed that Brooklyn was scared from his entrance and apologized, introducing himself as Nearly Headless Nick.

Brooklyn had asked him why he was called that, resulting the ghost into taking off his head. The gargoyle was most disturbed. Someone had tried to behead him, but not done it properly, leaving a piece of skin holding the head there.

After that, Nick offered Brooklyn his assistance after he explained his situation, and led him the right way to Dumbledore's office. He thanked Nick, spoke the password, and stepped inside.

As he entered the office, Dumbledore was sitting at his desk as usual, but another old man was there with a big trunk full of wands.

"Brooklyn, meet Ollivander from Diagon Alley," Dumbledore introduced.

Brooklyn pulled back a little as this strange old man with silver eyes looked him all over with over-enthusiasm.

Does this guy know personal space? He thought as Ollivander studied him.

"Well, well, so this was the special customer you told me about, eh? This is certainly an interesting one indeed. I don't recall myself or any of my ancestors giving a gargoyle a wand, for your kind never had the need for them. But I'm sure the right one for you is in here, somewhere!"

He talked in a too cheerful mode while he took Brooklyn's measurement, along with him saying he was right handed. Ollivander pulled one out.

"Try this one, lad. Beechwood and dragon heartstring. Give it a wave!"

Brooklyn took it. feeling a bit foolish, he waved it at random, and a shot of magic came out like a gunshot, smashing one of Dumbledore's silver instruments into pieces.

He winced at the mess on the floor. "Sorry, Professor!" He apologized sheepishly.

Dumbledore simply smiled. "Quite alright, I feel like I have one too many, anyway!"

Ollivander handed him another. "Here, Oak and Unicorn Hair, light and swishy!"

Brooklyn once more tried his luck, but instead, the shot of magic sent him flying backward onto the floor, and the spell rocketed off the walls, nearly singing Dumbledore's Phoenix's feathers. He squawked furiously and flew up into the astronomy room.

The gargoyle staggered to his feet, his face blackened from the explosion. Ollivander was chuckling.

"Not funny, dude!" Grumbled Brooklyn in an irritated voice, throwing him back the wand in frustration.

"Ah, not to worry, we will find your wand, I'm sure!"

Wand after wand he tried, resulting with either nothing happening, or destructive magic flying off the walls. They piled up on the floor, and Brooklyn was panting with exhaustion from trying them out. But the more he tried, the happier Ollivander seemed to be.

"Just like Harry, you're also the special case, aren't you? You need to know that it is the wand that chooses the wizard (or gargoyle, in your case). Let me find another."

He dug through the trunk, and then, Ollivander suddenly spotted a reddish looking wand with a black handle. Picking it up, he gave it to Brooklyn.

"Redwood and Phoenix tail feather. Excellent wand for dueling."