The Prince's Tale

Brooklyn still held his human brother's hand whilst staring down at Snape's corpse, not speaking for a time, until the terrible voice of Voldemort made Brooklyn gasp aloud and jump up, wings open all the way and looking around. But he was nowhere to be seen; his voice was speaking to all of Hogwarts and the area around it. Brooklyn's eardrums rang while he shut his eyes, talons dug into his palms.

"YOU HAVE FOUGHT VALIANTLY... LORD VOLDEMORT KNOWS HOW TO VALUE BRAVERY..."

What do you know about that, huh? You bastard?! Brook shouted silently, hands shaking.

"YET YOU HAVE SUSTAINED HEAVY LOSSES... IF YOU CONTINUE TO RESIST ME, YOU WILL ALL DIE, ONE BY ONE. I DO NOT WISH THIS TO HAPPEN. EVERY DROP OF MAGICAL BLOOD SPILLED IS A LOSS AND A WASTE.

LORD VOLDEMORT IS MERCIFUL. I COMMAND MY FORCES TO RETREAT IMMEDIATELY. YOU HAVE ONE HOUR. DISPOSE OF YOUR DEAD WITH DIGNITY. TREAT YOUR INJURED."

Brooklyn narrowed his eyes, as he could guess what this evil hypocrite would say next.

"I SPEAK NOW, HARRY POTTER, DIRECTLY TO YOU. YOU HAVE PERMITTED YOUR FRIENDS TO DIE FOR YOU RATHER THAN FACE ME YOURSELF. I SHALL WAIT FOR ONE HOUR IN THE FORBIDDEN FOREST. IF, AT THE END OF THAT HOUR, YOU HAVE NOT COME TO ME, HAVE NOT GIVEN YOURSELF UP, THEN THE BATTLE RECOMENSES. AND TOO, IF YOUR PRECIOUS BROTHER CARES FOR THE SAFETY OF HOGWARTS, I ADVISE HIM TO GIVE UP HIS LOVE AND CARE FOR YOU, POTTER. TO LET HIM AND HIS CLAN GO HOME FREE...

THIS TIME, I SHALL ENTER THE FRAY MYSELF, HARRY POTTER, AND I SHALL FIND YOU, AND I SHALL PUNISH EVERY LAST MAN, WOMAN, AND CHILD WHO HAS TRIED TO CONCEAL YOU FROM ME. ONE HOUR."

The voice faded away. Brooklyn had a movement where he held Harry to him. He couldn't let that maniac kill his brother. He stroked Harry's hair who was looking distressed.

"Don't listen to him, Bro. I will always stand by your side, no matter the consequences."

"But I'm putting everyone in peril..." Harry began to say, but the red gargoyle shook his head.

"That's bad thinking." Hermione nodded.

"He's right, let's get back to the castle. If he's gone to the forest, we- we need a new plan," she said. Brooklyn could still see tears for Ron in her eyes.

....

The trio proceeded to the castle, where it was deathly quiet. Brooklyn saw the scattered bodies of Death Eaters and dark creatures. None of their friends and family were to be found.

"Where is everyone?" Hermione whispered. Brooklyn sniffed the air. He could smell his clan coming from the Great Hall.

"This way..." he murmured, taking Harry's hand and guiding him there. They went in.

It was a terrible vision for Brooklyn; the House Tables were no longer present, everyone hugging each other. Two people he saw were MacBeth and Colin Creevey. He was holding the child carefully, speaking comfortingly to Colin who was crying. MacBeth had saved him from sudden death.

Hermione had gone on her own way while Brooklyn remained with Harry. He glanced towards Goliath who had his arm heavily bandaged, Hudson close by. Broadway lay on a gurney with Angela tending to his wounds that looked deep, Bronx woofing gently and lying curled up near the Aqua gargoyle. Brook went and hugged Goliath gently. Hudson hugged Harry. To Harry it felt like a fatherly hug.

Lex was off on his own wanderings for air when he spotted Hermione sitting alone, her face in her hands and crying. He went over.

Memories of losing both Ron and her parents had broken down Hermione, crying non stop for a good while until a gentle touch on her shoulder was present.