Brooklyn at the Burrow

Brooklyn had to admit, the inside of the Burrow wasn't quite what he'd expected especially with how the outside looked, a simple family set up with a kitchen, living room, etc. One thing he enjoyed was the clock, that didn't have numbers and it had more than two hands of each family member which would point to either on school, work, home, and even you're late.

Hmm, not bad, he thought, as Mrs. Weasley guided him and Harry to the table and sat them down, piling their plates full.

Brooklyn then knew he was probably going to be eating Mrs. Weasley's cooking for quite a while, really enjoying his eggs and bacon.

Suddenly, he heard somebody coming down the stairs, and he turned to see the same young red haired girl from the previous year, asking her mom about where her jumper was. She suddenly spotted Brooklyn and Harry, eyes growing round.

Brooklyn gave her the friendliest smile he could, while Harry said hello. Her face blushed red, along with her eyes looking scared of Brooklyn again, and she raced upstairs.

"I'm sorry if I scared her," Brooklyn mumbled, feeling rather awkward after hearing her bedroom door close.

She smiled. "Not to worry, Ginny's just shy around new people. But she talked about the both of you non stop last year."

He nodded, knowing that somewhere, Ginny must like something about him.

Brooklyn eventually met Mr. Weasley, coming back home from work at the Ministry of Magic, and as soon as he met Brooklyn and Harry, he immediately began asking them questions about the Muggle world, which he didn't mind too much, but got a bit strenuous after a time.

He was grateful when Mrs. Weasley interrupted them about Ron, Fred, and George stealing the car, and Ron convinced Harry and Brooklyn upstairs with him while waiting out their argument.

As they went up the landing, Brooklyn spotted Ginny peeking out of her room, eyes not terrified this time, but curious.

He stood back, telling them he will catch up later.

Brooklyn nervously stood there, and they both stared for a while.

"Uh, hey," He greeted, feeling awkward again. She ducked her head, eyes blinking shyly.

"Hi," Ginny whispered softly.

"I really won't hurt you," Brooklyn promised gently, reaching out with his hand.

"I know, I just, don't always know what to say to you, or Harry. That's why I run away," Ginny admitted in a quiet tone, opening her door a bit more.

Brooklyn gave a small smile. "Well, I can always talk to you if you need to," he offered.

She looked up at him in wonder, some of the shyness going away. And nodded.

Life at the Burrow definitely got more interesting for Brooklyn over the rest of the summer. Everywhere he looked, many interesting things happened, from the garden filled with strange little human creatures Ron called gnomes, to the Ghoul in the Attic that banged on pipes when things got too quiet.

Ron's room was something else, containing nothing but merchandise of his favorite Quidditch Team, the Chudley Cannons. Brooklyn had spied Ron's fat rat, Scabbers who was lying on the windowsill sleeping, the scent of human still coming from him.

He stayed in Fred and George's room, where at times found himself a test subject to their crazy experiments.

"Why do you guys even do this?" Brooklyn asked after wiping his ashened face that preceded another exploding candy.

"Well, Mum thinks we should be working in the Ministry, but we have our own ambition: a joke shop!" Fred announced, his eyes gleaming.

Brooklyn smirked, having a humorous thought of these two running their own business. And, to be honest, he could see them running that Joke shop.

Brooklyn and Ginny's friendship grew, too. She was fascinated by the many stories he told about his Clan's adventures and species in general, and she told him of how excited she was about going to Hogwarts for the first time.

Mrs. Weasley was quite pleased with Brooklyn and Ginny's friendship, seeing the two sometimes walking outside and simply talking.

And everybody there seemed to enjoy Harry and Brooklyn's company.

One day, they were all sitting at the table for breakfast when Mrs. Weasley came in with letters containing a booklist for their second year. Harry and Brooklyn read over their list with some confusion, and with Brooklyn, annoyance.

The Standard Book of Spells, grade 2 by Miranda Goshawk

Break With a Banshee by Gilderoy Lockhart

Gadding With Ghouls by Gilderoy Lockhart

Holidays With Hags by Gilderoy Lockhart

Travels With Trolls by Gilderoy Lockhart

Voyages With Vampires by Gilderoy Lockhart

Wanderings With Werewolves by Gilderoy Lockhart

Year With the Yeti by Gilderoy Lockhart

As Brooklyn scanned the list of books, he groaned when he recognized the author's name from that book, Magical Me in Flourish and Blotts.

Fred leaned over. "You've been told to get all of Lockhart's books, too? The new Defense Against the Dark Arts Teacher must be a fan." He commented.

Brooklyn rolled his eyes. "Guy sounds like a doofus to me," he muttered, taking a drink of his juice. Some of the titles he had read were quite ridiculous. Wanderings with Werewolves. Seriously?

"This won't come cheap, Lockhart's books are very expensive," George pointed out, looking at his parents quickly.

Mrs. Weasley looked somewhat worried, but she managed a smile. "We'll manage. I'm sure we can get Ginny's things second hand."

Harry looked suddenly interested. "Oh! You're starting Hogwarts, too?"

She nodded, blushing as she put her elbow in the butter dish. Brooklyn smiled. Even though Ginny had been able to talk to him the past month, she still seemed pretty shy around Harry.

After reading a letter from their other friend, Hermione saying she will meet them all in Diagon Alley, Brooklyn, Harry, and the other Weasley boys spent the rest of the day practicing Quidditch, with Brooklyn watching from below, as they threw apples instead of real Quidditch balls.

They all went to bed together later that evening. And Brooklyn noticed there seemed to be one bedroom door that was always closed.

"Percy," muttered Ron. "Apparently too busy studying so he can join the Ministry. Wonder what he's been doing in there."

Brooklyn himself hadn't seen much of Percy, despite being very pleased to have him and Harry over for the summer, the only times they ever spoke was at Breakfast or Dinner. Other times he was nowhere to be seen.

"Exam results came in for him, twelve O.W.L.s and hardly gloated at all!" Fred muttered, frowning.

"What's Owls?" Brooklyn asked, still new to this whole way wizards studied now.

"Ordinary Wizarding Levels," George explained to his and Harry's confused looks. "If we aren't careful, we're gonna have another Head Boy in the family. I don't think I can stand the shame!"

Both Brooklyn and Harry smirked a bit at each other to George's over dramatics as they went to bed, excited about venturing into Diagon Alley once again.