The Egg's Clue and a New Mer-Friend

In late January, Harry still hadn't figured out the clue for his egg. Now, he, Brooklyn, and Hermione were standing out on the bridge that overlooked the Black Lake, and Hermione was lecturing Harry after he admitted lying about figuring out the egg already.

That's when Cedric came up to them, giving Harry a hint about how to open his egg by going into the Prefect's bathroom and take a bath, giving them the password, 'pine fresh.' Brooklyn didn't see how this would help, but ended up tagging along, wanting to see this clue for himself.

Now Brooklyn had concluded that this was the nicest bathroom he had set foot in. It felt great to just hang out there with his brother in the warm water, watching the different colored soap spew out from the faucets, some of them smelling like lavender even. For a while, Brooklyn just laid back against the wall of the tub, eyes closed, while Harry looked over to the egg.

Brooklyn yelped as he heard the terrible screeching of the egg, Harry tried opening it again, jerking him from his relaxed state.

"Shut it off!" he yelled, covering his ears. Harry did, and Brooklyn sighed in relief.

"How are we gonna figure this out if this stupid egg keeps screaming at us?" Brooklyn then asked, glaring at it.

"I don't know," Harry mumbled, looking quite hopeless.

"I'd try putting it in the water!" called a familiar voice. The brothers turned to see Moaning Myrtle there, coming out of one of the toilets and grinning at them. The both of them blushed and tried covering themselves, realizing they were being watched by her without them knowing.

"Long time no see, you two!" Myrtle greeted, though she fixed them with a hard stare. They had promised to visit Myrtle at one point but had forgotten.

"Oh, hi." Brooklyn greeted, still feeling slightly embarrassed that she had been peeking in on them. Myrtle floated into the bathroom, smiling. "I was circling a blocked drain the other day and could swear I saw a bit of Polyjuice potion."

Brooklyn frowned. Polyjuice Potion? The only time they've ever used it was during Harry's second year. Could somebody else be using it?

"Did you see who was using it, Myrtle?" The gargoyle questioned. She shook her head.

"No. I normally don't watch others unless it is something interesting, and they hide themselves quite well."

"Myrtle, did you say try putting the egg in the water?" Harry then asked, and she smiled.

"That's what he did, the other boy, the handsome one, Cedric Diggory. And Brooklyn, if you wanted to know, Katie was in the girl's bathroom this morning, talking to her friends about you, and your time together at the ball. I think she might be drawn towards you."

Brooklyn felt the heat again, not just from the water. Did he have to go red in front of Myrtle? Seriously? But, perhaps having Katie talking about him wasn't the bad part, it was Myrtle nosing in on it.

Maybe Katie still really does like me, Brooklyn then realized, a small smile beginning to form on his face.

"Well? Go on. Open it!" Myrtle encouraged, and Harry put the egg in the water, opening it. And Brooklyn thought he could hear strange choir music coming from it, but it was muffled.

"Should we try going under water?" Brooklyn suggested. Harry then realized and he nodded, and the two of them put their heads under, the music now even louder and Brooklyn could understand it:

Come seek us where our voices sound

We cannot sing above the ground

And while you're searching, ponder this