Sirius Goes Free and Owl Post Again

"You've got to stop them! They've got the wrong man!"

"Sirius is innocent! Scabbers was Peter Pettigrew! It was Peter that did it!"

That was what Brooklyn and Harry had woken up to, Hermione had joined them when she came to visit. When Brooklyn first woke, his throat felt so dry and sore, along with his body shivering from having nearly been kissed by a blasted Dementor, and feeling sore on his face after being scratched by a werewolf. But when he had his chocolate, he felt a little better, until he heard the news of Sirius going to be subjected to the Dementor's kiss!

He was currently being held hostage in Flitwick's office awaiting his terrible fate, that had resulted into Brooklyn, Harry, and Hermione shouting at Dumbledore to stop this madness after nobody else believed their story, with Snape concluding them being Confunded, of all things!

Dumbledore eyed them with sympathy. "I do believe you three. But I'm sorry to say that the words of two thirteen year old wizards and a gargoyle who have convinced few others."

Brooklyn growled, stomping his foot. "But why do you follow them blindly? And can't Professor Lupin tell them—?"

"Professor Lupin is currently deep in the forest, unable to tell anybody, and nobody in the Ministry would believe a werewolf, either. By the time he is back to normal, Sirius would be worse than dead, like how you almost were, Brooklyn."

The gargoyle shut his eyes tightly, his hands gripping hard, struggling not to shout out at the Headmaster. But then he said something that interested him a little, but not very much, for he had a few things to discuss with Dumbledore personally.

"What we need is more time. Three turns should do it, Miss Granger. Good luck!" He then walked out, Brooklyn following in his wake, glancing back just a bit to see Hermione pulling out a small hourglass, just as the door closed.

As soon as they were alone, Brooklyn suddenly felt pretty guilty. Once more, he had failed being the Guardian of Hogwarts by almost having his fate sealed by a Dementor this time instead of a cursed diary, and for failing to protect Harry and his godfather.

"You have something to say?" Dumbledore asked, making Brooklyn start a little, before looking down.

"I-I'm sorry, sir. I tried to protect Harry and Sirius by the lake, I really did. I actually attempted a Corporeal Patronus, that delayed them long enough, but my stupid fears got in the way again and almost got them killed, if it hadn't been for the second Patronus that saved both of us. You should just let me go. I failed twice," he mumbled in a despondent tone, to Dumbledore's surprise at Brooklyn blaming himself.

"Now listen, Brooklyn. I didn't blame you for the diary, and I'm not blaming you now. It is hard for any man or gargoyle to conjure up a Patronus to get rid of 100 Dementors. But I'm impressed you were capable to cast one at all. And what form did yours take?"

Brooklyn was surprised at this out of topic question, but answered with a little enthusiasm, for he himself was happy for being able to find his Patronus this year. "It was a Phoenix, sir," he replied, some of the guilt in his voice gone.

Dumbledore's eyes looked shocked, but only for a moment, and Brooklyn felt like the old man was keeping something, but didn't bother to ask.

He then smiled. "The Phoenix Patronus for you, Brooklyn, represents somebody who wouldn't give up, even in their darkest hours, when they've been beaten down by their inner demons, denied of love, or anything, they always rise from the ashes, stronger than ever. You have the spirit of a Phoenix, young one. And that strengthens my respect for you and your kind. But, you won't be able to protect Harry all the time, for there will come a moment, even if you're there, that he would have to fight his own battles." He turned to walk down the corridor.