Something Worth Fighting For

Things had greatly improved in a week or so after Harry, Brooklyn and the others recovered in the hospital wing when they returned to Hogwarts:

McGonagall had come back from St. Mungos fully healed from the stunning spells. Brooklyn had given her a big hug when he first saw her, tears coming down and apologizing for not being able to save her, but she bore no ill will towards him, saying that things were fine now.

Even Hagrid had returned, and Brooklyn, Harry and the others enjoyed having a reunion drink with him, as he told them all his adventures on the run. Brooklyn had told him about how Grawp saved him from being blasted by Umbridge, and it brought tears to Hagrid's eyes, happy that his half brother did something heroic.

Umbridge had also been fired after she had been returned to Hogwarts reluctantly by the Centaurs, running from the castle doors as the students, Brooklyn, Griff and Peeves chased her out, throwing things after her together.

At the Ministry Fudge came clean finally about Voldemort returning and Demona working with him, even giving Sirius a full pardon with a draw of galleons to make up for it, and said that once Harry came of age, he'd be free to move in with Sirius if he chose, along with stepping down and handing the reins of Minister to a guy named Rufus Scrimgeour.

Brooklyn didn't know if this Scrimgeour guy would be better than Fudge or not, but he'd be willing to give him a chance. And he was happy about Sirius no longer being convicted as a criminal anymore!

Three days before they left Hogwarts, Harry and Brooklyn were called into Dumbledore's office for a chat. Dumbledore had a sorrowful look on his features.

"I'm sorry about everything, you two," he apologized. Brooklyn furrowed his brow. There really was no need for him to be so. Dumbledore noticed his gaze.

"I mean it. I knew it was only a matter of time before Voldemort discovered the connection with Harry. I just thought by avoiding Harry it would be less tempting for them to go for you. But I was wrong."

Harry ended up nodding, as Brooklyn spoke. "Yeah, I was kind of mad you were avoiding us, but now we've heard the prophecy, I could understand why. So you didn't need to apologize. But, all that about 'neither can live while the other one survives', will it still happen? Even with me as his guardian?" He asked, still not sure to believe this prophecy or any prophecy for that matter.

Dumbledore nodded solemnly. "Yes, Brooklyn. But you can continue to protect him as much as you can until then. He will need it for what is to come."

Brooklyn placed an arm around Harry's shoulders. "With my life, Sir. We have a saying: 'a gargoyle can no more stop protecting something or someone than breathing the air.' And that's what I'm going to keep doing for as long as it takes." He vowed, rephrasing what Hudson had always thrown onto him and his brothers many times. This was possibly now the most crucial time to put this saying to the test.

Dumbledore smiled. "A noble saying for your species. And I am grateful for all your help as well as your London Clan friends. I plan to grant King Arthur a high honor from the Ministry for helping us fight the Death Eaters, for he proved quite effective against them, and he offered more of his service to help until Voldemort was vanquished from this world for good. And I wish the two of you luck for your next year here."

The brothers smiled at one another at Dumbledore's words. As long as they were together, nothing could sever their brother connection. And when Harry had asked who sent the Howler to Petunia, they were both shocked to learn that it had been Dumbledore who had.

....

Once again, it was the end of a somewhat difficult year at Hogwarts; Harry was this time only going to be at the Dursleys for three weeks, then Dumbledore and Brooklyn would come to get him together, much to the gargoyle's relief that his brother wouldn't be stuck there all summer this time, and spend the rest of the summer at the Burrow, where Sirius and the London Clan would be, too.

The friends all sat in a compartment on the train together, playing one last game of Exploding Snap before the train pulled into the station.

They all exited onto King's Cross side by side, Hermione and Ron both promising to write, as did Harry and Brooklyn.

Harry suddenly had a thought. "You know something, I just realized we have something that Voldemort and Demona don't have," he said, sparking curiosity in the others.

"Yeah, what?" Brooklyn asked.

"Something worth fighting for, friends, family, and honor. They both lack those qualities, while we burst at the seams with it," Harry responded. Hermione smiled with tears in her eyes, and suddenly, everybody got into a group hug, Brooklyn and Griff wrapping their wings around their human friends. It was true.

Whatever new challenges came their way, they would face them together.