Mad-Eye Moody and the Fourth Champion

The next week the rainstorm that had blown the first week of Brooklyn and Harry's return to Hogwarts finally disappeared, giving way to sunny skies. Brooklyn once again was watching over the Care of Magical Creatures lesson, where Hagrid brought in the most revolting creatures ever: Blast-Ended Skrewts. They had these nasty stingers plus they shot fire from their rear ends.

Hague had volunteered Brooklyn again to look at them, even tried having him pick one up to show the class it wasn't vicious, but it's end exploded, leaving Brooklyn with burnt hands, and forced to the Hospital Wing, where Madam Pomfrey had wrapped his hands with cloth and medicine that stung. Hagrid even blamed him for holding the thing too tightly! Was he for real with these monsters?

His friends and brother visited him later before Divination and Muggle Studies, where he was sitting there with his arms folded in irritation at having to be here again!

"Well," muttered Brooklyn, "At least they were small, or I'd be at St. Mungo's right now."

Hermione narrowed her eyes. "Not the case, Brooklyn. Skrewts can grow to be much bigger than possibly you, giant size if Hagrid figures out what they eat!"

He rolled his eyes. "Wonderful. If Hagrid makes me touch those things again, I'd lose my hands for sure!"

"Pretty sure that probably won't happen, But let's hope not!" Harry assured.

"So, what do you have after Divination?" Brooklyn then asked, changing the subject from Skrewts, which he decided now were his least favorite creatures next to Dementors.

"Defense Against the Dark Arts Thursday," Ron said. "You'd better heal up soon, Brook, you don't want to miss spying on Moody's first lesson!"

The gargoyle nodded, as Madam Pomfrey shooed them out, needing to apply more healing medicine on Brooklyn's hands.

Fortunately, he didn't have to stay in the Wing for very long, on Thursday the burns healed thanks to the medicine, and he was reluctantly allowed to leave by Pomfrey who had wanted to keep him longer, but Brooklyn insisted he didn't want to miss watching the new Professor's class.

He caught up with Harry and the others, staying back as they went in.

As class began, Brooklyn found a spot near the door to listen in.

Moody introduced himself along with telling the class about the Three Unforgivable Curses. They didn't sound like good news to Brooklyn, as he began demonstrating the first, the Imperius Curse, which he tested on a spider that he made do tricks. The class laughed, except for him.

Brooklyn began to tremble slightly, having deja vu flashbacks of his mind suddenly having no control over itself, starting with that warm numb feeling that made him fall. Was Voldemort somehow using that curse on him when he used the diary? He felt himself shiver again at the thought.

"You! Gargoyle!" Called Moody suddenly, snapping him out of his thoughts, eyes widening as Moody stared at him.

"Sir? I was just looking," Brooklyn protested. Moody gave him a crooked grin. "That's okay, youngn'. How'd you like to join us?"

Brooklyn then knew he couldn't back out, and he wasn't in trouble. He was interested in this anyway, so he nodded, stepping in and standing near Harry's desk.

"Now, kids, the Imperius curse could work on any creature, not just spiders or humans. Which is why I volunteered Brooklyn here to show you," Moody suddenly said, much to Brooklyn's horror, and Harry gasped.

"B-but sir! He's already had that ordeal from Voldemort! Please, he doesn't want to do this!" Harry begged, while Brooklyn backed away. This is definitely something he didn't want to do!