Deathday Party And the First Attack

Halloween came once again, and Brooklyn continued to write to Tom Riddle, enjoying their talks together in between patrols, but he hadn't told Harry about Tom Riddle yet, keeping it to himself.

That afternoon, he met up with Harry who had come back from a Quidditch session covered in mud, and Nearly Headless Nick who was complaining about not joining the Headless Hunt, until Mrs. Norris showed up near their feet, mewing accusingly at Harry's muddy feet. Brooklyn kept it in him not to kick her though it was very tempting, she still wasn't his favorite cat, always watching Brooklyn with those yellow eyes.

Filch burst out of a tapestry, eyes popping and looking pretty sick in the face, having the flu and all.

"Filth! Mess and muck everywhere, I've had it, Potter! Come with me, except you, gargoyle!" He growled at Brooklyn, whose fists were clenched.

Mrs. Norris mewled mockingly at Brooklyn before following her Master, making Brooklyn hate the scrawny feline all the more.

Brooklyn turned to Nick, he didn't want Harry in trouble because of some mud. "You gonna help?" He asked. Nick gave a smile. "I might know someone who can," he said.

It turned out to be Peeves, and the two of them asked the Poltergeist to wreck an old cabinet right above Filch's office, which distracted the caretaker to not give Harry detention. Nick even asked Harry and Brooklyn to his, er, Deathday Party tonight, which sounded rather depressing to Brooklyn. But since Nick did help his brother, he agreed to go. Maybe it could be fun, though he seriously doubted that.

They were all sitting in the common room together as the friends talked about the Deathday Party. Brooklyn never imagined ghosts to really celebrate anything, always seeming to be so glum with the exception of the Fat Friar from Hufflepuff, that is.

He wrote to Tom about what was going down tonight after telling about their encounter with Filch and Mrs. Norris.

I'm going with my brother to if you can believe this, a Deathday party for our House ghost, Nick. It's happening tonight since his Deathday is on Halloween.

Whoa, a Deathday party? I think I'm somewhat familiar with how it is celebrated by Ghosts, but you're pretty lucky to see it for yourself! Perhaps you can tell me about it after the party!

Sure will! See you later, Tom!

He closed his diary and began to head out. For a brief moment, Brooklyn felt a little weird in the head, but chose to ignore it and went on his way with his friends.

They passed the Great Hall, where Brooklyn peeked in at the Halloween feast just in time to see so much great food there, live bats flying around, and even living skeletons that were dancing.

He wanted to join them, but knew that Harry couldn't break his promise to go to Nick's party. And he was interested at how ghosts celebrated, so Brooklyn turned his head away from the welcoming feast and proceeded with the others to the dungeons, where the party was being held.

Brooklyn immediately noticed the temperature drop as he wrapped his wings around his shoulders and spotted the black candles that had a blue flame, and jet black tapers lining the walls.

His ears were also met with a strange noise, like fingernails scraping over a blackboard, and winced.

"That's supposed to be music?" Ron exclaimed, and Brooklyn shrugged in reply as they approached the entrance, where Nick greeted them with a sorrowful look on his face.

"Ah, my friends, welcome, do please come in, such an honor for Harry Potter and Brooklyn to be with me and all my friends!"

Brooklyn smiled, which felt more like a grimace, mostly from the cold and music.