A 'Seer' and a Hippogriff

The four friends entered the Great Hall for breakfast the next day to find Malfoy entertaining a group of Slytherins with a seemingly very funny story. Brooklyn's eyes narrowed when one of them, a very snooty girl he never spoke to, Pansy Parkinson, suddenly noticed them.

"Hey, Potter! Monster Freak! The dementors are coming!" She shrieked, her ear piercing voice making Brooklyn growl a little in annoyance. It was just his luck that those pesky Slytherins would taunt them about those dementors.

He sat down with his brother in between Fred and George, where they looked over their new schedules. But Brooklyn found himself looking over towards Malfoy, who was putting on another fainting performance. Fred noticed him watching.

"That little git," he muttered. "But did you know he nearly pissed himself when he ran into our compartment as the Dementors came our way."

Brooklyn couldn't help but smirk at this. "Oh really?" He asked, now knowing he had something to get back at Malfoy for this.

"Yeah, though I wasn't so happy myself. Horrible things, those dementors."

"They sort of freeze your insides, don't they?"

Brooklyn's stomach clenched. He really didn't want to talk about it anymore as he got up to sit with Hermione.

"Hi, Brook! Just looking over our new schedules! We're starting our new subjects today!"

He nodded. "Sounds good. But—." He glanced over her schedule. "Are you sure that they got yours right? I mean, ten subjects a day? Isn't this a bit overkill?"

"Yeah," Ron commented. "There isn't enough time."

"I'll manage it. I fixed it all with Professor McGonagall."

Ah, so that's what she wanted her for, Brooklyn thought, now wondering what had happened between those two.

The first class was Divination, which made Brooklyn ponder why there was even a fortune telling class in the first place as he paced outside the trapdoor entrance. They had gotten lost and were forced to ask the painting of Sir Cadogan for directions, who still got on Brooklyn's nerves.

He had heard of the teacher, Professor Trelawney, whom a lot of the students say she was a fraud, but Brooklyn had yet to encounter her and see if she really was.

At last, his friend's class was over and they came out. Hermione looked a little cross for some reason, but Harry and Ron were mostly confused looking.

"If you ask me, she's quite shifty for a professor," Hermione huffed, as she struggled with her many books.

Harry looked somewhat alarmed, and maybe a little nervous.

"So what happened up there?" Brooklyn asked in curiosity, wondering how the fortune telling class went for him.

"I can't figure that woman out, Brook. She said when we studied reading tea leaves that she could see a strange black dog omen in it, the Grim."

Brooklyn's brow raised. "What?" he asked. He then recalled the black dog they saw when the Knight Bus found them, and his nerves shifted just a bit. That dog couldn't be the Grim, could it? But no, he couldn't really trust this shifty fortune telling or evil omen stuff, even when he saw it with his own eyes.

"It's just a load of nonsense, Harry. Don't let this overshadow your third year, okay?" He tried to reassure. Harry nodded a little, glad now he had a brother to laugh about this stuff with. He didn't think he could handle it on his own.

Suddenly, a mystic silvery voice came. "I saw in my visions this morning that I would be acquainted with the Guardian of Hogwarts that accompanies Mr. Potter. Please join me in a palm reading? It would be a great honor." It was the old bat. Brooklyn grimaced. He hoped that he could get away without having his palms read.