A Chinatown Ghost Story

Everyone was gathered in Donnie's room where Kara, who was practically wrapped like a mummy, was staying to recover. It being a week since their encounter with Shredder and Karai Donnie was explaining what happened after her fight with Shredder's minions now that she wasn't filled with so many pain killers and antibiotics.

"So that's what happened..?" Kara looked up at them for confirmation, turning to Leo who gave a simple nod and closed his eyes in sadness. She turned her head away while clenching her fists. "Gah, I should of stopped her instead of going with her! Why does Shredder have to ruin everything!?!" She slammed her fist into the wall in frustration, squeezing her eyes shut trying to ignore the pain but stopped when she felt a hand on her shoulder.

"It's not your fault, Kara." She looked up at Leo and sighed softly before lowering her gaze. "No one would have known what was going to happen. It's a waste of time and energy to worry about what already happened. Just focus on recovering first, ok? We're gonna go search for her." He gave her a smile and her shoulder a gentle squeeze before turning to leave, Dragan right behind him but stopped to give Kara one last look then left.

Everyone followed suit leaving Kara and Donnie alone.

She sighed softly before leaning back to try and get comfortable while rubbing her now throbbing hand. "You should go help them look for Karai. I don't think I'm going anywhere anytime soo-"

Donnie interrupted her sentence with a kiss.

Kara closed her eyes and placed her hand on his cheek.

Feeling him move away she opened her eyes to see him holding onto her hand with his head lowered. She opened her mouth to say something but he spoke before she could.

"You..you're going to drive me crazy one day.." He said with a weak voice before he looked up at her and let out an awkward, forced laugh to try and lighten the mood.

Kara watched as he gave the best smile he could muster before it cracked and he lowered his head again, clenching her hand in his. Her brows lifted in sadness knowing it must be hard to see her in this state and reached her arms around him, pulling him close to her chest. "I'm sorry, Donnie.."

"What do I have to do to keep you safe? You've been close to dying so many times because of me.." He squeezed his eyes shut seeing her body bloodied and bruised from every fight she's been in that almost cost her her life.

"Now, that's not true." She moved her hands to his cheeks and lifted his face to look at her, "Every decision that I've made has been my own."

"But I still can't help but feel.." Donnie averted his gaze.

"It's not your fault." She choked out causing her voice to crack, feeling tears welling in her eyes.

He stared up at her, speechless, watching as a single tear fell from her face.

"It's...m..my.." It never occurred to her til now that what he said was true, she HAD been close to dying; standing right outside death's door more times than anyone she would like to remember. Her eyes were wide and unfocused as each time she had almost died played through her mind.

All the friends she had made.

Her family.

Donnie...

Everything she had worked so hard to keep in her life could of been gone in an instant. Because of her recklessness. Because..she would never stop fighting. She lowered her head unable to finish her sentence as she began to cry, her hands sliding from his face and to her lap, clenching the blanket tightly in her hand. "I'm sorry! It's my fault I put you through this. All I do is think of myself. I never think of anyone else's feelings but my own!! I..I'm so sorry.." She broke down moving her hands to her face, crying into them not noticing that Donnie had moved from beside the bed to pulling the covers away now sitting on the bed.