chapter thirty-nine

Vanessa lets out a small groan, squinting her eyes at the sunlight shining through the window. She shuts her eyes, cuddling more into the bed. Vanessa feels arms wrap around her which confuses her. She grows more confused when whatever she's laying her head on is moving up and down. Vanessa looks up, finding herself practically lying half on Shawn.

Shawn, who is also waking up, opens his eyes, seeing the position they're in.

"Oh, my God!" They both exclaim, scooting away from each other. Shawn moves too frantically and ends up falling off the bed. He sits up, looking up at Vanessa. "Guess we crossed the, uh, falling off the bed bridge."

~ ~ ~

The two groggily make their way downstairs where the models and Gus already are, all dressed and wide awake.

"What is this? Did you guys get up at dawn? Dude, you couldn't give me a little shake?" Shawn asks.

"We got up five minutes ago." Hassenfeffer states.

"Sigrid, we can all go together." Berlinda says as the woman walks in.

"I would rather eat my own earlobes than spend another hour with you callous monsters." Sigrid states before leaving.

"I can't disagree." Vanessa whispers to Shawn.

"That girl's acting like a freak." Hassenfeffer says.

Shawn clears his throat, looking at Gus. Gus glances at his friends, looking away for a few moments, before reluctantly walking over to them, the three going to the base of the stairs.

"Did you accomplish anything last night besides selling me out for vacant head?" Shawn asks.

"Did you accomplish anything aside from cuddling each with other?" Gus retorts.

"Answer the question or I'm gonna stab you with a fork." Vanessa tiredly threatens.

"Yes, I did. I found out Berlinda always wanted a pet dwarf bunny as a child. And she loves anything that smells and looks like lavender." Gus says.

"Sweet. Let's call the chief and get paid." Shawn says.

"I also found out that Ciaobella was grilling all of the models because she was convinced that one of them was sleeping with Gregor." Gus says.

"Really?" Shawn asks.

"Yep." Gus nods.

"Well that coupled with the fact that she's drunk with power, treating her sweet little assistant like dirt, gives us a pretty good suspect, I'd say. Let's crash a funeral." Shawn says.

+++

They're at the funeral and are in line to walk by Gregor's casket to say something.

"Oh, my God. Is he wearing Hugo Boss? What a sellout! See you never." Berlinda says, walking away from the casket.