chapter fifty-six

Everybody is in the house, the counselors, Shawn, and Gus all celebrating and Shawn takes a picture of everybody else. Jules is sitting in a chair by the fireplace and Vanessa is lying down on the couch.

Shawn looks around, finding Vanessa and seeing her pick at the nail polish on her nails. Shawn sighs and goes over to her.

"Come on, Nessy. Have a little fun." Shawn tells her, sitting on the edge of the couch next to her stomach. "Hey, we're not being chased around by an ax wielding maniac anymore."

"Any prank-- or whatever you would like to call this-- involving death or murder is of poor taste and just flat out mean." Vanessa states, not looking up from her nails.

"Yes, but it's over now at least." Shawn says. Vanessa lightly rolls her eyes, still not in the mood. "I think there were some Chocodiles in the fridge. Ooh, there was most definitely a pineapple."

"How about something to punch Gus?" Vanessa suggests.

"I believe you are very capable of that yourself. You're also capable of stealing his car in order to get back at him." Shawn says making a small smirk appear on Vanessa's lips at the idea. "Do not tell him I gave you the idea."

"I suppose Chocodiles wouldn't be the worst thing right now." Vanessa sighs. "Might as well enjoy something while we're stuck here."

"I shall return." Shawn says, handing her his glass of champagne. "Knock yourself out."

Shawn gets up and goes to the kitchen. Vanessa sits up and stares at the glass in silent consideration before taking a sip.

~ ~ ~

Shawn, Gus, and Jason carry the body out of the lake. Vanessa and Jules are kneeling next to a piece of blanket that they put the body on. They turn the body onto its back to reveal Erwen.

"Crazy old man. What have you done to yourself?" Jason asks.

"Ugh. Perfect. The wind probably brought down the only tower we had in the area." Jules says, putting her phone up. "I'll radio for an ambulance."

"Don't bother." Clive says, walking over. "They won't be coming, and we won't be going. Not tonight. The road is completely blocked."

"Of course it is." Shawn says.

Vanessa bends over so she's closer to Shawn.

"Think I could punch him now?" She asks.

+++

They're all back in the house and Jules walks in the room, shutting the door behind her.

"Nobody is to touch that body. I can justify moving it because of the storm, but until further notice, that porch is off limits." Jules states.

"Do we know what happened to him?" Gus asks.

"It's impossible to tell before an autopsy, but there are no clear signs of foul play that I can see." Jules says.