chapter seventy

The trio went to Leonard's work place to talk to some of the people before they went to Henry's where Joon and Tony are staying.

"Ow. Ow. Ow." They hear Joon say as they walk inside.

"Shut up." Henry tells him.

"Well, it hurts." Joon says.

"Dad. We left them here with you to keep them safe." Shawn says as they get to the living room. Tony is holding an ice pack to his head, Henry tending to Joon's shoulder. "Who did this?"

"They did. Damn fools shot themselves." Henry says. "Who the hell left them with a BB gun, Shawn?"

"I did." Shawn states. "I mean, they-- they said they wanted to be able to defend themselves."

"Dumb move." Henry comments. He presses a bandage to Joon's neck, the man groaning in pain. "Would you calm down? The BB bounced off you. It's like you're made of rubber. I thought you guys were wusses. You're commandoes compared to these guys."

"I'm not a wuss." Vanessa objects.

"Well... not as much as these two." Henry nods between Shawn and Gus.

"I'll take it." Vanessa says.

"Yo, please tell me you're onto something, cause our lives may depend on it." Tony states.

"Boy, you can say that again." Henry says.

"Don't you worry. My meta-ethereal game is as tight as Gus' workout shorts." Shawn says. "Checking some addresses here that are psychically linked to your boy Diddle."

Gus' phone vibrates and he answers it, "Hello. Yes. This is John Slade. Oh, hey, Chelsea. How you doing? No, no. I'm glad you called. Drinks later? Okay, sure."

"Is he really planning a date right now?" Vanessa whispers to Shawn.

"All right. Bye bye." Gus hangs his phone up.

"Who the hell is John Slade?" Henry questions.

"Hell, no, B." Joon speaks up. "I know you not using Diddle's death to try to get some play with that shorty."

"All I did was give her my number in case she needed to talk." Gus says.

"Oh, yeah, let me guess. Did you write it out for her so she could see your good penmanship? I taught you that move, B." Tony reminds.

"Say it ain't so, B." Shawn says.

"Your move isn't even your move?" Vanessa asks her friend.

"Who the hell is B?" Henry asks.

"Everyone but you." Shawn tells him.

"Yo, Gus will always sell out his boys for some woman." Joon says.

"Mm-hmm." Tony hums.

"Amen to that." Shawn says.

"What?" Gus questions.

"Just last week, you left me and Nessy stranded at a Coco's to help some chick to move a foosball table." Shawn recalls.

"That is true." Vanessa nods.

"Sister had green eyes, Shawn. That's a special circumstance." Gus says.

"Doesn't surprise me. Gus has never honored the code." Tony says.

"Oh, so you wanna go there?" Gus asks.

"Oh, we can go there." Tony says.

"You sure you wanna do this?" Gus asks, walking closer to the two who stand up.