chapter seventy-two

It's the middle of the night and Gus and Vanessa are at the place where Shawn told them to meet and are both in their pajamas. Vanessa left a note for Tobias and her kids, telling them where she was and what to do if she wasn't back by the morning.

"Gus, Vanessa, we got down here as soon as we could." Jules says, her and Lassie walking up to them. "Are you guys alright?"

"Yeah." Gus answers as Vanessa nods.

"You three better have a very good reason for dragging me out of my bed and down here to Nowheresville at 4:30 in the morning." Lassie says. "Where the hell's Spencer?"

"Your guess is as good as mine." Gus says.

"If I wanted to make guesses, I would go on a game show." Lassie says. "What the hell is going on?"

"We don't know." Vanessa states.

"Look, all I know is he left me this message about an hour ago." Gus plays Shawn's voicemail.

"Buddy! I figured it out! It's sweet. The whole thing was just a rehearsal. I'm leaving my place. Meet me down at the storage yard now. Come in your fireman PJs if you have to. Just be there."

"I got basically the same thing." Vanessa says, playing the voicemail.

"Hey, Nessy! I already called Gus, I need you two to meet me at the storage yard now. I know it's early and you might maim me, but just be there ASAP. I'm leaving my place now, if you have to bring the munchkins, then do so. But get there now."

"What does that mean "rehearsal"?" Jules asks.

"I have no idea." Gus says, Vanessa cluelessly shrugging.

"Wait. This just game in from Shawn." Gus says.

"Read it." Jules demands. Vanessa leans closer, looking at the text, her eyebrows furrowing in confusion.

"I have no idea what this means." Gus says. ""Trunk yelrfx ocone pol peac sig."" He reads.

"What is that?" Jules asks.

"It's gibberish." Lassie states.

"Wait, there's more. "Binshot not lol."" Gus reads.

"What is he talking about?" Jules asks.

"Binshot, binshot, binshot." Gus repeats. "Binshot, binshot."

"What are you playing with over there?" Jules asks Lassie, seeing him kneeling on the ground and looking at something.

"It's blood." Lassie states.

"Binshot." Gus whispers.

"Oh, my God." Vanessa mumbles, looking at Gus, both of them seeming to connect the dots at the same time, panic filling them.

"Shawn's been shot." Gus states.

~ ~ ~

"All right, based on the blood patterns and marks on the ground, he was shot here and dragged this way. The blood trail ends here. Couldn't get any useable tread marks, but these swirls in the gravel indicate kickback from a car pulling out of here at a high rate of speed. Recovered a single shell casing. Shooter used a .45 auto."

Lassie notices Henry get out of his truck.

"Who the hell called him down here?" Lassie questions.

"I did." Gus states, noticing Lassie's stern look. "It's his father."

"Which is exactly why I don't want him here." Lassie growls. "If Shawn really is shot, there will be no room for family in the investigation."

"If Shawn has been shot, there's no room I'm not gonna bust open to find my son. You got it?" Henry states.