002. blood, not snausages

Vanessa walks behind the counter at the diner, hanging an order up for the cook to take. She dropped Madison off at her mother's earlier and the twins are at school. She begins to wipe down the counter when the bell above the door rings. She naturally looks at it, sighing when she spots her two friends.

"Nessa! My favorite waitress." Shawn grins.

"Not working the case, Shawn." Vanessa says.

"What? Come on, you know you want to." Shawn says.

"No, I want to make money so I can support my three children and hopefully not have to move back in with my mother. Which at this point is gonna happen within the month." Vanessa says.

"Come on, Nessa. Please." Shawn gives her puppy eyes.

"Those don't work, Shawn." Vanessa tells him, wiping the rest of the counter.

"Okay, come on. Gus is back in. We need the trio or else it's no good." Shawn says.

"Well you're not gonna die from not having me there, so... knock yourselves out. Go have fun solving a kidnapping." Vanessa says.

"Yeah, see, thing is... he wasn't kidnapped." Shawn whispers, leaning closer to her.

"Excuse me?" Vanessa asks in confusion.

"He wasn't kidnapped. Whole thing was planned." Shawn quietly says. He raises his eyebrows at her, knowing that information will get her to go. Vanessa pokes her tongue against the inside of her cheek, thinking.

"Give me 5 minutes." Vanessa mutters making Shawn smile.

+++

They're in Gus' car with Shawn driving and Vanessa once again in the back. They were going until the cops pulled them over.

"Well, we're off to a banner start." Gus sarcastically says.

"Just let me do the talking." Shawn tells them.

"See, thing is, 98% of the time when you do the talking, it doesn't help anything. It just makes stuff worse." Vanessa says.

"So this will be the 2%." Shawn says.

"Morning, gentlemen, lady." The cop greets, bending down next to the open driver's seat window.

"Hello, officer." Shawn greets, handing him a card.

"What's this?" The officer asks.

"Whoops. It's my dad's old police business card. Must've stuck it back there. Guess I've been carrying that in my wallet for ages. Can never be too careful coming from a family of cops." Shawn says.

"Henry Spencer's your dad?" The cop asks.

"Yes. Yes, he is." Shawn answers.

"Well, how's old Henry doing?" The man asks.

"Oh, you know Henry. He's great. Retired. Living in Miami." Shawn says.

"I saw Henry 3 weeks ago at the Home Depot." The cop says.

"Huh. Yeah. Yeah, that-- that sounds about right. He popped into town for a few days. Grabbed some supplies, some wood." Shawn says.

"Said he'd been back for over a year." The cop says.

"And now he's back running around, doing his thing... Henry style." Shawn says.

"Tell your dad the Kingfisher says hello." The cop gives Shawn the card back.

"Will do. Thank you, officer." Shawn says as the officer walks awway.

"Your dad's back at the house?" Gus asks.