chapter sixty-two

The trio are sitting in the back of Lassie's car, the man silently driving.

"He's going to kill us." Gus whispers.

"What?" Shawn asks.

"He hasn't said a word the whole time he's been driving." Gus says. "Fact it, Shawn. He's finally snapped."

"Relax." Vanessa whispers.

"He asked us for a favor. That's all." Shawn says. "We can leave any time we want. Case in point." Shawn tries to open the door, but it doesn't open. Gus attempts to open his door, nothing working.

"This is all your fault." Gus whispers. "You and all your practical jokes you play on him."

"Those were team building exercises to build camaraderie." Shawn whispers back.

"How do you build camaraderie by changing someone's bank account numbers?" Gus asks. They both try to open the doors again.

"What the hell's going on back there?" Lassie asks.

"Look, Lassie, I know I've been a tad annoying in the past. But shooting Gus and disposing of his body in the aquifer is not the answer." Shawn says and Gus hits him. "Ow."

"Don't be ridiculous. I'm not gonna shoot anyone." Lassie says and Shawn gives Gus a look.

"He didn't say anything about knifing anybody." Gus says.

"Do you really need that clarification?" Shawn asks.

"It would be nice, yes." Gus says.

"So what's with all the secrecy, you handsome, pasty devil?" Shawn asks.

"What we're doing isn't exactly official Santa Barbara police business, and it isn't exactly in my jurisdiction." Lassie says. "We're going to a small town a few miles up north. The sheriff's an old friend of mine. Some unexplained things have been happening at night."

"That's not creepy." Vanessa whispers.

"You three have a propensity for finding something from nothing, and I need that gift." Lassie admits.

Lassie pulls up to a few other cars that are parked and stops. He gets out and opens the back door for them.

"Where's the town?" Gus asks, looking around a couple of piles of wood that sits next to the road.

"This is the back." Lassie states.

"The back?" Gus asks.

Lassie leads them to the town, the building looking very old.

"Wow. Just how old is Old Sonora?" Shawn asks.

"I will ask you to stifle your urge to make fun of everything that is decent. Sheriff Hank is a good man who deserves not only your respect, but your admiration." Lassie states before going into a building, the three following.

"Sheriff!" Lassie calls out, tossing the bag he has onto a table.

"Well, look at you. Ain't you a sight for sore eyes?" The sheriff asks, sitting up from the bed he's lying on in a cell. "Thanks for coming."