chapter fifty-three

1987

The three friends hide out in the school bus, listening to their teacher tell other kids what to do. They hear her walk away and peak over the window, not seeing them.

"We did it, guys. A year of planning's finally paid off." Shawn says.

"Don't you think we should wait until they get a little further away?" Gus asks.

"No, we have to move now. We've got ten minutes to find a dolphin, feed it, then ride it." Shawn says. "Plus with my dad being sick and not being able to chaperone, the fates are with us. It's the perfect storm." He says as they get off the bus.

"I don't want to miss the otters." Gus says.

"No, we won't. Um, you brought your dad's camera, right?" Shawn asks. Before Gus can answer, Henry walks up from the side of the bus and Gus awkwardly smiles at him.

"You're not sick." Shawn notes.

"And you're not very thorough." Henry says.

"How did you know?" Shawn asks.

"Oh, maybe it's that snorkel hanging out of your backpack. What kind of undercover operation you running here, kid?" Henry asks.

"Plus..." Henry takes out and unfolds a map of where they are that Shawn drew his plan on. "You left this behind." Shawn tries to grab the paper, but Henry yanks it out of his reach. "If you're gonna take time to create a deception, do it better." Shawn takes the map.

"Wait. Dad, I'm confused. You want me to lie to you?" Shawn asks.

"No. I want you to make it more of a challenge for me to catch you. Because I always will." Henry states.

present day

The trio get out of the blueberry.

"Wait a minute, this doesn't add up." Shawn says.

"What do you mean?" Gus asks.

"I mean, this doesn't add up, Gus. There's not really a burglary ring at a gentlemen's finishing school, is there?" Shawn asks as they start walking on the sidewalk.

"I'm sorry, Shawn. I made up a thing about the case. I needed you guys to come down here to do me a favor." Gus says.

"Well, you know what, this was a bad time. My dad just got a new fishing boat and insists on taking me out to kill innocent fish, and I can only avoid so many things at the same time." Shawn says. "All right, what is it?" He steps in front of Gus to stop him from walking.

"It's a funeral." Gus states.

"No. Absolutely not. You know I hate funerals. They're depressing. There's organ music, and six times out of ten, there's a snake in the casket." Shawn says.