004. spelling bee

1989

12 year old Vanessa sits next to Shawn as they watch Gus participate in the the spelling bee.

"30 seconds, Mr. Guster." The announcer states.

"A... G... G..." Gus begins stuttering. "Let me start over. Aggiornamento. A... G... G..." He looks at Shawn who is mouthing something. "O?" The announcer hits the buzzer.

Gus sulkily walks off stage.

present day

Vanessa sits in the office as Gus watches the spelling bee. The door opens and Gus immediately turns the TV off, seeing it's Shawn and he goes to his desk.

"What are you watching?" Shawn asks, putting his bike down.

"Nothing." Gus answers.

"Dude, is that Korean porn? Come on, man." Shawn says.

"IT's the regional finals of the American... Spelling Bee." Gus states.

"What?" Shawn asks.

"Don't mock me. It's a huge event." Gus says.

"Yeah, you know Gussie just loves his spelling so much." Vanessa jokes and Gus glares at her.

"No, I'm just... I'm shocked that you didn't take the whole day off." Shawn says making Vanessa laugh.

"It's on Sportscal2 for your information, and it's hosted by Bud Collins." Gus says.

"Really? Really, did they-- did they bump the car washing championships for this? And is it over soon because I'd like to get back to the woodcarving finals." Shawn jokes.

"Yeah, and I have that knitting competition I wanted to watch." Vanessa chimes in. Gus turns the TV back on.

"It's being held in Santa Barbara this year, down at the Cabreo. It's huge. Sold out." Gus states. "I tried to get tickets, but you got to know somebody."

"Somebody lame." Shawn says. "Dude, I can't believe you're watching that."

"I'm taping it, and I don't care what you think, Shawn. Or you, Vanessa. I was the bee semis every year."

"Okay, for your sake and ours, stop giving the spelling bee hip little nicknames." Gus shushes him.

"For those of you who have just joined us, well, a bit of a shock... and a little sad, too." The man on TV says. "The heavy favorite has had a bad spell, and Brendan Vu is out."

"What?" Gus asks.

"Boo-hoo for Vu, bud." The other guy says.

"No way. Brendan Vu is out? Already?" Gus asks.

"Okay, now you're just scaring me." Shawn says.

"Yeah, you're a little too concerned about this." Vanessa says.

"Come on, Shawn. He took second last year. Everybody knows that." Gus says.

"Not me or anybody else I know-- aside from you-- does." Vanessa states.

"No, Gus, nobody knows that, except for Brendan and his mother." Shawn says.

"Okay." Gus shrugs.

"We're going to show this again. It looks like young Mr. Vu may be having trouble breathing." The guy says and it shows a clip of Brendan using an inhaler.

"He does look to be under some sort of duress, Bud." The other guy says. "His inhaler did not appear to help, and Vu tumbled to the floor..." He narrates.