A Pirate Heart

I was walking around the ship at night. I can't sleep. I figured that walking around the ship will help. The night was peaceful and I can see the stars in the night sky. They shined down on the ocean like tiny suns. The moon was a crescent moon that looked like a smile. I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. It's funny how even though I'm not alive anymore I can still breath. I'm dead, just stuck in between. 

"Can't sleep" asked Loki. 

I looked over at Loki and walked up to stand next to me. 

"No, I have no idea how I'm suppose to" I said. 

Loki put his arms out on the rail to lean on it. 

"Are you having second thoughts" asked Loki. 

"No, well, maybe. I'm not sure" I said. 

I stood up and put my hands on the rail as I looked at the sky. I took a few seconds before turning to face Loki again. 

"Have you ever crossed over" I asked. 

"No, only the dead can cross over" said Loki. 

"Has anyone from your crew crossed over" I asked. 

"No, if you become the undead then you can't die" said Loki. 

"Ever" I asked. 

"Yep" said Loki. 

"Wow, I, I don't even know" I said. 

"Do you think I'm lonely" asked Loki. 

"No, you have all your friends. I guess it's just nice to be able to not fear the eternal hell fire and what do you even do with all this time" I said. 

Loki laughed a little. 

"You humans and your religion is ridiculous" said Loki. 

"Are you saying Hell isn't real" I asked. 

"It is, but the afterlife is way more complicated then you think. I mean how many religions have a pirate crew guide lost souls" asked Loki. 

"Not any I ever heard of" I said. 

Loki turned to face me but kept his arm on the rail to lean on. 

"The truth is, death is only as scary as you make it" said Loki. 

"I guess, but all you do is guide lost souls" I asked. 

"That's not all we do. We are the messengers of the afterlife. Part of it is guiding lost souls such as yourself but there is also delivering messages. Such as dreams" said Loki. 

"Are you for real" I asked. 

"Yes, when you fall asleep part of your soul leaves your body. Now that part of you will travel the spirit world and can interact with anyone here. However the living aren't suppose to know they are dreaming which is why dreams are weird and confusing" said Loki. 

"But what about dreams where I'm talking to a best friend" I asked. 

"Unless that person is dreaming the exact same thing as you it's actually someone from the spirit world disguised as that person" said Loki. 

"Well, that definitely a lot" I said. 

I turned back to face the sea. 

"What about you? Any plans for when you finally make it to the shiny pearly gates" asked Loki. 

"I have no idea" I said as I looked at Loki. 

"I mean I'd get to see my family again but, I'm not sure" I said. 

"You know you don't have to go to heaven right" said Loki. 

I gave a nervously laugh. 

"You think I'm going because I feel like I'd have to" I asked nervously. 

"Most people when they are lost fell like they don't deserve a peaceful after life. But you, you seem to have no clue what you want" said Loki. 

I turned to looked at the ocean and leaned on the rail as I thought for minute. 

"Well, being a transgender boy I would like a penis and a flat chest" I said. 

"But you feel like your family won't accept you" said. 

"Ya" I said. 

I looked at the water below as I played with my hands. Loki and I were silent for a minute. Loki climbed over the rail and held onto the rope. 

"What are you doing" I asked. 

"Come on" said Loki holding his hand out. 

I nervously took Loki's hand and climbed over the rail. 

"Hold onto the rope" said Loki. 

I grabbed the rope that hung on the ship and hung on the side of the ship with Loki behind me. We faced the back of the ship. Loki held my hand and put it in the water. I could feel the water as my hand ran threw it. It feels like what I imagine real water would feel like. 

"If I was still alive myself I would find this a bit more scary but when you can't die then there is nothing to fear" said Loki. 

"It's kinda cool" I said. 

I scooped up some water in my hand and let it fall back into the ocean. Loki let go of my hand and had his hand run threw the water. I noticed a diamond necklace in the water. I was a little confused. 

"We are entering the realm of dreams" said Loki. 

As we sailed threw the water there was more stuff in the water and these small clips appeared in the sky over a island in the distance. 

"What is this place" I asked. 

"It's were dreams take place. That island is where you go when you are dreaming. Those scenes in the sky are a small clip of what someone is dreaming about" said Loki pointing at it. 

Loki put his arm down. 

"Dream land is where dreams live. Both real life dreams and what dream when you are asleep. However just like everything else dreams die" said Loki. 

Loki picked up a small doll from the water. 

"When a dream dies the creates that were created by it will vanish and anything left over ends up in the ocean. It stays in here for someone else to find. Then it will have another life before returning to the ocean" said Loki. 

He put his hand in the water and let go of the doll. The doll floated away as we continued to sail by. 

"That's a little sad" I said. 

"If you choose to look at it that way" said Loki. 

I looked at Loki confused. 

"Nothing last forever. Dreams dying can be a good thing two. If someone has a dream to win a gold metal or get a certain job then it can become real. When it's real the dream can be the best thing that ever happened to you. When you enjoy something most people want to share it with the world. Like the person who invented cakes" said Loki. 

"So, it's like donating old clothes or moving out of you're old house" I said. 

"Exactly, it's about how you view things. You still have the memories and the rewards it brought but sometimes you have to let go. Plus no dream stays dead forever. One day someone will find it" said Loki. 

I grabbed the chain of a pocket watch pulled it out of the water. 

"I like your view better, I'm just use to death as the end" I said. 

"It never is. You're welcome to keep that by the way" said Loki. 

I decided to try to write my own original work but I want to write Norse Loki not MCU Loki. So I wrote this but put it here because it's a sample.