The Red Snow

YOU POV:

I was visiting my grandma for the winter. She was making cookies and decorating them.

"That's a lot of cookies. Are we giving some to the neighbors" I asked.

"We can, I'll just have to make more" said my grandma.

"No, I'm just wondering why so many cookies" I asked.

"I thought my son and his wife told you" said my grandma.

"No" I said.

"Oh, very well" said my grandma.

She put the bowl down and turned to me.

"Every night on December 17 the whole town must leave cookies and other treats outside in front of the front door. Once the sun has set red snow will fall from the sky. The Jotunns will walk threw the town collecting the food and stuff we leave. Anyone who doesn't leave something will have a red ice freeze their home trapping them inside for a year" said my grandma.

See now that's some bullshit.

"Grandma, I'm 16. Just say it's a spooky tradition" I said.

"I'm serious. Now most importantly, whatever you do DON'T GO OUTSIDE" said my grandma.

I crossed my arms.

"Ah uh, and why is that" I asked sarcastically.

"Everyone must lock their doors and window and make sure to close all curtains. You must not look outside until sunrise. Outside will be extremely cold and there are Jotunns everywhere. If they find you they will try to turn you into a Jotunn. You must never consume anything they give you" said my grandma.

"Sure grandma" I said sarcastically.

My grandma gave me a warning look. 

"Ugh, fine. I guess on the bright side I get to decorate cookies" I said. 

I spent some time decorating cookies with my grandma before placing them in a basket to leave outside. I put them on the door mat that grandma has it says Va te faire foutre. When I took french one year I was excited to learn what it actually says. I assumed it says welcome or something but no, it says kiss my ass. 

I told my grandma but she said she knew when she bought it. According to google translate anyway. I went back inside and waited till night to sneak out. I snuck out my window on the second floor onto the roof. I looked around and was shocked to see red snow everywhere. 

'How did the city pull this off' I thought. 

I climb down and walked up to the street. None of the lights were on and it's freezing cold out here. I heard a horse running threw the streets. Who is riding a horse at this time of night? The horse was getting louder. I turned around and saw some blue horses pulling a wagon. I walked onto a yard and the horses stopped when they got to me. Outside the cart was a blue man. He looked at me and said nothing. 

"Why did we stop" asked a man from inside. 

The driver turned to the curtains behind him and whispered something. The door to the carrier opened and out stepped a man. He looked at me and I gave a fake smile. 

"What on Earth are you doing out here" asked the man. 

"Walking" I said. 

"You must be freezing. Here come in" said the man. 

"No" I said. 

"Would you rather freeze" asked the man. 

"I'm not getting in the cart with a stranger. I'm not five" I said. 

"Fair point, then at least let us make sure you get home safetly. It's too cold for a human out here" said the man. 

"Okay" I said. 

I started walking down the street. I'm not showing them where I live. the man went back inside and the cart followed me threw the street. I'm freezing though. Fuck it. I stopped walking and the cart stopped. 

"Is it too late to change my mind" I asked. 

The door opened and I climbed in to sit next to the blue man. There was another man her. Probably his father. 

"What's your name" asked the younger one as they put a blanket around me. 

"Y/n" I said. 

"I'm Loki" said the younger one.