five

September 8th, 1976
Wednesday

The next potions lesson a week later was terribly tense for the whole classroom. Apart frrom Jack of course who still wasn't sure what had happened between the two boys but had maturely redeemed as something Remus obviously didn't feel her worth knowing so she didn't ask.

Jack had still been pretty stiff with him since the indirect order, even in her state of panic she seemed alot more proper and active then Remus had gotten used to in the last two weeks of summer. After observing someone for four out of seven days a week for two weeks you grew to understand their body language. Infact he had an even better grasp on Evans body language though the boy rarely kept how he was feeling to himself anyway.

Regulus had been a tough nut to crack though they had bonded somewhat since Remus had stopped him from tearing Jack apart with some spells. Remus would say they were friends but he assumed that after years of practice because of his familial situation that Regulus had become accustomed to not outwardly showing how he felt or letting his emotions show in hints of body language so Remus would sometimes allow his keen werewolf senses to sniff out what he was feeling but it was usually the same most of the time. Anger and stress.

They always had distinct smells and Remus had grown to recognise as his upbringing had been commonly surrounded by those emotions. Stress had a bitter smell, like off lemon and curdled milk and whenever Remus sought out the smell he'd grimace. Anger had a passionate smell that Remus found not unpleasant but not particularly pleasant either, it was like the smell of roses with paprika seasoning and burnt wood.

He'd never really questioned why they'd been a mix of different smells as he was sure no werewolf he knew would know the answer.

There were of course others hed smelt over the years. Happiness or joy smelt like lavender and the humid air of the sun. Sadness was like grass after rain. Even confusion had a distinct sort of smell, and it was by far the most confusing mix up of things. Dust, but particularly dust from untouched, unused books and steak.

Remus had never really thought to bother to learn to read Potter the past six years like he had Jack in the last month or so. So like he'd do with Regulus, he tapped into his sense of smell. It'd always give him a headache after but he didn't mind to much, the pain was nothing anymore and he'd just need a cup of water after lesson.

When Potter turned his back he shut his eyes and focused for a moment before a rush of hay and corn hit him and his eyes snapped open at the smell. Worry wasn't always a nice one. Remus never had the best upbring but the smell of a barn that worry or anxiety brought on was never good and he believed he'd never get used to it.

He eyed Potter warily as he turned back around after consulting his notes and stirred the contents of the cauldron after a few beats.

"Boo." He tried, voice abrupt in the silence of the classroom and Potter jolted away, almost stopping the stirring of the potion, a few others around them jolted slightly aswell or cast scared glances up. Remus sniffed and the smell disappeared into a rising anger. He hadn't been worried about Remus then.

Not that Remus would have cared anyway.

"What was that for?" The bespectacled boy hissed in annoyance, trying to avoid the attention of Slughorn who still, after all these years, still had an admiration to the boy.
Remus shrugged and nudged Potters hand away from the potion as he began to overstir.
"The silence is dreadful." Remus knew Potter agreed. The classroom although seemingly peaceful was full of unsettled students who were waiting for an outburst from the pair. Unsure when or if one would break out.

"I know but what can we do. " Potter grumbled and lowered himself onto his stool, Remus mimicked the action and they sat bodies facing but only Remus was looking at the other, Potter was staring purposefully at the flames flickering under the potion.