sixty-two

March 1st, 1977
Tuesday

Unimpressed was one thing that Remus was feeling, another was very dissapointed.

Remus stared at the big box, roughly the size of four of his runes textbooks put together, sat beside Sirius' bed that had his name plastered ontop of it in a hand writing that could go up against Regulus' and win any day.

Sirius had asked about gifts and Remus had responded that if he was to get anything for him for it to be something small and not expensive but he'd rather not anything at all. He'd bring it home ans if it was big it would get noticed and if it was expensive as soon as Fenrir knew he had it it wouldn't belong to Remus Greyback anymore but some other werewolf that Fenrir would have sold it to for some extra cash.

"Sirius what is that?" Remus asked and Sirius finsihed pulling a clean shirt on before glancing over.
"Oh that's not for you." He said as he threw his robes over it.
"It literally had my name on it."
"No it didn't.
" Sirius I'm not-" He went to reach for it snd move the clothes to reveal the name when he felt hands on his waist and be was dragged backwards across the bed and off of it so he would stand far away.
" Its not for you. " Sirius repeated and Remus cast one more anxious glance at the box before putting his attention back on Sirius who had turned away and was preforming a drying spell on his hair.

Remus stayed stood where he was for a moment, staring at the Gryffindor with a gaze of admiration until his eyes caught something. He walked closer and slid a hand onto Sirius' shoulder. Sirius looked over his shoulder,
"watcha doing?" Sirius asked,
"looking." Remus muttered back and Sirius didn't realise until Remus' fingers had already brushed the scar and landed on the hem of his jeans. How hadn't he noticed this?

He tensed up.

"Can I see it?" Remus asked and Sirius shook his head no. Remus gave him a soft look of understanding before his hands circled the Gryffindors waist and he stepped forward so he was pressed against him and his head rested on his shoulder where Remus' hand had previously been. Sirius met his eyes in the mirror infront of them. "Can I ask where it's from?"

Sirius stared at him with a look Remus couldn't decipher.

"Home." Sirius spoke softly, voice timid yet he still held Remus' eye with an unwavering confidence. Remus' eyes narrowed as his hand itched to touch the scar again.

Remus didn't see many people with scars like those, it was a scar from a heavy laceration. May that be from a spell or a physical object Remus knew that it was a deep one aswell.

And then realisation dawned on him. Back when they were in those detentions Sirius had mentioned something about his family. He couldn't quite remember what, so he asked.

"Is it your parents?" Remus asked, his tone gentle as to not spook Sirius. He wasn't quite sure how to actually handle a conversation like this when he wasn't on the receiving end of the questions but he'd learn. He'd learn for Sirius because Sirius done it for him all the time. He'd comfort him and he's ask questions in a way that wouldn't provoke. "I remember you mentioned something about your parents a while back, i think." Remus told him and Sirius looked surprised that Remus remembered.

"Yeah. I did." Sirius said and he lifted his arm up infront of him and Remus' eyes met the tiny scars he'd seen before, "Alot of them were my fault, I was a real problem child." Sirius explained and Remus reached his hand up and his fingertips ran over the ridges of each scar, "I should have stopped but they were just terrible people and I couldn't let them do that. Not what they were doing to him."

"Him?" Remus coaxed and he raised his brows in surprise when he heard a sharp and teary inhale come from him.

"Regulus. He was young so he wasn't as well 'trained' as they liked to call it and so they'd try to hurt him but he was my little brother man. I couldn't let them hurt him so I acted up, I got in the way and- the one on my back was because I hit mum when she hit Regulus." Sirius explained, "If I was in Slytherin she may have been more lenient but a bunch of cruciatus later and spells that had never hurt more I git that and I left."