5. Moving

I was both awestricken and not that they wanted to be apart of my family. I wasn't too surprised because things here were simple like that. But a nagging voice in the back of my head worried that they wouldn't find me attractive, or that they would see through me and know that I wasn't the best choice for them. There was also the chance that I can't change the fates of main characters...

Logically, I knew that I was physically better than average when it came looks because of the way the author highlighted the beauty standard so often. But that was before I was confined in the City of Flame. I was skinny now, sickly so and I know the general consensus here doesn't find that attractive.

Bai was skinny and so were the females that had to look like her rivals, but they didn't necessarily come off as malnourished. And maybe they won't really look like barbie-dolls in person. So far, the others are close to how they were depicted, but they weren't exact.

Winston, for example, was more built than I was expecting. Mitchell, on the other hand, was slightly less but still buff. Shuu was more like a toned plant stalk. And Muir was noticeably top heavy with muscle; like a lifter who forgot leg day.

Then there was the ape king. He escaped his fate of looking like an old boot. His hairline was not nearly so receded and there was nothing wrong with his face. I'd dare say he was almost handsome.

I'm sure Bai could be different too.

But pity points were a thing here and I had that going for me in spades. I also knew that acting even a little polite or considerate will win me a significant amount of favor. And I'd be a fool not to use that to my advantage.

And no matter how hard I could be on myself, I wasn't a mean or nasty person. I don't think I count as spoiled either, though I would love to be in a position to be spoiled. Quite like how I was being spoiled in the ape castle.

Mitchell did have his people serve me, but it was different. With them, I could never be positive that they wouldn't hurt me given the chance. Heck, I'm positive they would have if they were sure Mitchell wouldn't kill them for it.

The apes were much, much nicer than that.

So my chances had to be good and this negative voice can stuff it. Everything will be fine. And even if things didn't go exactly as I wanted or expected them to, I will find a solution.

So, while sitting here in my room, thinking things over, Winston and Shuu are off settling their affairs. They are both royalty of their respective clans, so they couldn't just drop off the map to start a family without at least a goodbye.

I opted not to go with either of them. I know I looked like shit and I didn't want every beastmen to see me this way. One day, I plan to stand proudly and unaffected by their stares, but today is not that day.

I adjusted the scarf around my neck and the silk top that covered my breasts. The City of Flame had one fame to claim and that was silk. And Mitchell didn't think anything of it to have a clothing set made for me. It fit loosely now, for obvious reasons, and needed frequent adjustments. It was thanks to the style of these clothes that everyone could see just how bad off my body was. I would like to find something less revealing soon.

I pulled off the scarf and touched my neck. I rubbed the spot trying to think of how to tell my future mates about this. Unless we were going to do the deed with a scarf around my neck, they were going to see it.

It was one of the more useful gifts Mitchell gave to me. For better or worse, he didn't care when I started asking for transparent crystals. And in my desperation, I ate them; a lot of them. And I confirmed that a female can, in fact, gain stripes even if she wasn't from this world.