35. Co-Habilitation

Winston woke up very groggy later that night. He didn't seem to hear what I was saying and forcefully pulled me into a furry hug. I let it go and slept snuggled against the fluff. I was not letting him off for the fight, but that didn't mean I couldn't indulge. I was just glad he was home.

When he did come to, another fight almost broke out. I had to hastily and irritably explain that Mitchell was allowed in our den, in our room. Winston was awfully confused which led to the scolding I promised.

The venom seemed to mess with his memory in the short term, but he accepted things easier after I talked to him. It was a dramatic start, but things got better from there. The night ended as peacefully as it could considering everything.

Mitchell didn't used to be a clingy sleeper, but he insisted on physical contact tonight. Shuu and Winston were not forfeiting their spots, but Mitchell got creative. With his crown against mine, I had a hard time not giggling. It was just... ridiculous. But it was a ridiculous I could handle.

Mitchell heard stifled sounds that he never heard before and smiled to himself in triumph. He didn't understand a bit of why it pleased him, but he didn't care right now. He was going to bask in this feeling for as long as he could.

The me from three months ago would have never imagined such a thing. Then again, the me from then hadn't tried. I shut down and did what I needed to do. Mitchell came when I called, saved me from the rootless beast that had just brought me to the city, then said we would mate.

I had agreed quickly but fiercely pointed out the difference in our strengths. I had no idea what his control would be like, and I didn't want to go from the frying pan into the fire. I got physical first, to make it feel like I had some control when I actually had none. He liked that, it went down, and I didn't die.

Now I wonder... What did Mitchell really think of it all? Of me? Did he ever question my motives?

I hid my fear as well as I could, desperate to keep him from noticing. But what if he did? Did he continue knowing I was scared? Is that why the bruises became less over time?

He was intelligent, but that was referring to his smarts. His emotional intelligence was fairly stunted. That's hardly surprising given where and how he was probably raised. He didn't exactly have a great role model or a healthy environment to grow up in.

Regardless, he should be familiar with fear...

I guess I will continue to wonder if I never ask.

The following day, Mitchell insisted on hanging around and left it to the others to hunt. Both the bond and Grace's attitude were still new to him and he wanted to know both more.

Mitchell approached Grace, who was sitting under the shade of a tree with Winston. "What did you mean by the message you left me?" He started with something harmless.

"Message?" What message?

"'Uninvited guests should politely knock.' That one."

"Ah..." That one... I just wanted Mitchell to pause and mull it over, giving the guards more time to gather. But I can't tell him that, right?

Mitchell, despite his tendency to use his overwhelming strength, was someone who used his brain. It was likely he'd think my words have meaning and stop to consider it for a moment. And if he took the advice to be polite, we could potentially avoid a fiasco. If he didn't, his hesitation still would've given the city more time to react.

"I was hoping to avoid bloodbath somehow."

"You knew I'd come back?"

That was a silly question. "A bond formed when we weren't sure it could." He was always checking the mark back when it was faded. His interest was obvious. Bonds weren't easy to deny either. At least, that's my understanding of it.