96. Whole Again

The season neared its end and preparations for the move were nearly done. Even if they didn't move when they expected to, everything would be ready in case.

Bai Qingqing introduced a successful glaze for pottery that she fired in her kiln. She was still experimenting with pigments and temperatures, but she was able to get at least one kind of successful type that didn't blow up in the kiln.

Her loom was also put to good use by crafting cotton scarves and bandages. All and all, the girl was doing very well and passed her 17th birthday. Her guards were behaving and nobody had done anything that would deserve skinning. In less than a year now, Bai Qingqing will be an adult.

I'd naturally spoken to her about the move and the village. She neither protested nor asked to move elsewhere. She was nodding her head and following me without question which worried me. I hoped she wasn't blindly letting me make every call and at least thought about it.

For once, I could thank Parker for acting as the voice of opposition. He was able to explain to Qingqing how dangerous it would be, even if he was overly dramatic about it. Qingqing thought it over for awhile but her answer did not change.

Our agreement and partnership would continue then.

Other notable occurrences would be the ape king and leopard queen approaching me to learn cooking recipes. I had no issue sharing with Memi, especially since she always paid me handsomely in return.

The ape king looking for cooking lessons was interesting, to say the least. It seemed he had turned the majority of his attention to pleasing his mate. While he was visiting, he asked about Jed.

"Jed...he's working hard." Very hard. Harvey has been drilling him with imagined scenarios to help improve the ape's critical thinking. And my cubs were making him run and dodge for his life during the rest of his waking moments.

Bard nodded. "Good. I knew he would be the one for this position."

The ape king said that so confidently, that I dismissed the idea of him setting me up with someone incompetent on purpose.

Then again, while Jed started with little, he was improving much quicker than I expected....

"Do you have any advice I can share with him on how to gain his mark?" I tested the waters. Jed didn't know, so the ape king was our best bet to gain a clearer understanding.

The ape king thought about it and tried to recall the time he got his own mark. The first one.

'Fool!'

Bard coughed. Even an old memory of his mentor still scared him.

'What do you have that they don't? How can you win when your body is weaker? Use your mind and think.'

"To win battles using one's smarts." If the ape king was being honest, there was a physical aspect involved. It just wasn't nearly as important.

He killed a colossal that had a run-in with a rootless beast to awaken his first mark. But he couldn't share the truth. He couldn't tell Grace that he followed the beaten and dying creature to deliver the finishing blow. That sounded cowardly and unbefitting of someone who held the title of king.

That wasn't much of an answer, but I had some ideas. The colossus all ran south for the season and should start returning in the spring. I could have Muir take Jed to hunt something. Maybe I'll even use the ape king's tree to make a poisoned blade for him to use.

"Then... I'll be going." Bard wanted to hurry back and cook for Qin.

"Wait," I called to the ape king. I walked up to him and leaned close. "That poisonous tree you have, I want some of the sap," I whispered.