117. Cove Guard

The ape king was effectively forced to comply. He didn't like it, but what was his alternative? There was nowhere else he could run. Rather, he can't run anymore without testing Qin's bottom line.

However reluctantly, the ape king compromised. Instead of trying to keep all other males away from his mate, he planned to seek ones out of his own violation. Unfortunately, Winston did not let him meddle and sent him out to deal with the merfolk.

He pleaded to stay. What was the point of everything he did if he couldn't be by Qin's side? Facing the merfolk might be a death sentence.

But Winston held no sympathy. "I'm sure you will find a way." Before the crushed ape king could complain, he added, "Whether it's a peaceful resolution or not, I'm sure you will do whatever necessary to take care of your mate."

The way Bard heard it, Winston was telling him to protect his mate and that he would receive no additional help. But he also suggested that peaceful negotiation could be on the table. Bard was not so sure, but he would keep that in mind.

Bard turned to leave but asked one last thing before he left. "Please...please don't let Qin suffer."

Winston frowned. It wasn't his responsibility to care for a female that wasn't his, but he also felt the desperation in the ape king's voice. "She will be protected." That is the only thing he could promise. Her care was up to whatever males she would choose.

With clenched fists, Bard departed. Qin's immediate fate was no longer in his hands and all his control over her vanished. The only thing he could do was make sure he never had to fear Qin returning to the sea. Even if that cost him his life...

It wasn't long after the ape king's departure that the crocodiles returned. This time, they brought another female that looked positively ghastly, as if she was haunted by living nightmares.

Winston met the procession and greeted them. Aside from the crocodile named Sieg, who hung away from the party, there was no one familiar among them. When he caught the scents of those gathered, something flickered in his eyes.

"Why have you come?" Winston asked.

A crocodile shifted and glared. "We want a healer."

Winston took a look at the three marks of the male and carefully assessed the rest. "For the female?"

"Of course."

Winston stared down the male and lifted his hand. The twenty-odd beasts behind them readied themselves for battle. "She can come. None of you can."

The crocodiles immediately protested and the leading one expressed his grievances, but Winston was firm. "Leave her and wait here."

Sieg had not left the water and simply watched. The female that came was not his and he had no interest. He tagged along because he thought he might have a chance to see Grace again. His attempts to approach by himself were often thwarted, after all.

The crocodiles relented in favor of saving their female, but they were not pleased. Not that anyone but them cared about their feelings currently.

The female was carried gingerly to the clinic where she was treated. It took her a day and a half to wake up. In that time, none of the crocodiles were allowed in.

Sieg did not hang around close to the shore and drifted out of the cove. He found the hidden hutch some time ago and made it into a nest. There, he let himself snooze. He didn't wake up until sounds of battle rang in his ears.

Sieg did not jump up and warily assessed the situation. For some reason, the village beasts were attacking the ones that brought the female. With a frown, he continued to observe.