68. Time of Peace

I had worried mildly about what the wolf queen and king might get up to, but the concern proved unfounded. At least, it was for now. Bart was actually doing a good job for what it was worth.

The wolf queen did ruin his image somewhat by throwing her weight around and squandering resources. But she rarely interfered in Bart's duty. Instead, she lapped up the luxuries her position brought her. That's what the eagle and wolf scouts working for our castle reported anyway.

In lieu of keeping pleasant relations, I gave Shuu the okay to make independent judgments on how much he could support the wolf clan as a whole. It proved unnecessary for now as Shuu had his hands entirely full with the tiger guards.

Even if there was a problem, Rosa was not impossible to deal with. If it came to it, I had three different approaches I could take. But I'd rather not have to waste my time on energy on her if I didn't have to.

Curtis came back just as my wolf pups were opening their eyes and starting their exploration of the world. He brought back two large sacks of rice and proudly presented them to me. Before accepting the grain, I introduced him to my new cubs and watched his reaction.

Curtis memorized the scent of Grace's new cubs but dismissed them otherwise. He was more interested in whether Grace was pleased with his gift.

"Curtis," I said gently. "I still need more time. I can't accept you as a mate."

Curtis's eyes dimmed before focusing. 'How long,' he almost asked. Something akin to instinct told him that was not a good question to ask. "Alright." He left the rice and went out.

I scratched my head and sighed. I can't stay gun-shy with him forever. As Winston proved, I'm not the most comfortable around him, and I'm sure Curtis is not all too happy to have his chain yanked around.

But I did warn him that it would take time and that I could not offer him a guarantee. I refused to force it. I'd rather cut him off and deal with the consequences if he insisted now. Thankfully, he was maintaining his reasonable approach.

I took the rice back and steamed some using bamboo like Bai did in the book. Harvey grilled lunch and I sautéed vegetables, garlic, and ginger. I finished with honey, careful not to let it burn, and served it. But I didn't eat yet.

Harvey came with me, while Muir trailed behind. I knocked on Curtis's wall since a curtain was all he had for a door. A giant snake head poked out, its tongue flicking.

"Would you like some lunch," I asked. No relationship will ever work without effort. Curtis was doing his part, so I'll do mine. Even if the effort doesn't change the end result.

Curtis shifted quickly and gratefully accepted the bowl. He didn't eat it at first, preferring to let the warmth of it seep into his cold fingers. He invited Grace into his small room and let Harvey come in. The eagle didn't insist on coming in which was wise.

We sat on the cold, stone. Well, I didn't. Harvey had brought a cushion that I happily accepted.

Curtis eyed the cushion, then his empty room. It wasn't a suitable place to receive Grace into. His attention was recaptured by the delicious aroma of the meal. With a quick look, Curtis could see that there were things that he wouldn't normally eat in it. But they wouldn't pose a threat to his body.

Curtis quietly ate each bite slowly, savoring it. It was warm and had a sweet taste.

I tried to be subtle with my staring. It was only a simple thing, but Curtis made it look like a movie shoot. It was deceptive that someone so pretty was as dangerous as he was.