98. And...

I received word of Rosa's departure and relaxed. She hadn't been a major concern, but any concern was one too many. I should have done something about her a long time ago...

I shook my head and scoffed. What was the point in regretting something that already happened? There wasn't. Instead, I should make sure it didn't happen again.

As soon as I was able, I pulled Winston to the side. "If I ever hesitate with a potential threat around, please talk some sense into me."

Winston was torn by that order but agreed nonetheless. "I will try."

"Thanks."

Winston realized this was his opportunity. Clinging gently to the small hand that held his, he tried to express his emotions. "Grace...What you said before I-." It wasn't easy.

"Before?" I asked. Winston was acting strangely nervous. Was it bad that I found his blushing face cute?

"When I was in the village you-I wanted to say that you made me happy." There, he finally said it. "So happy. I love you too."

My heart went a little crazy then as I searched for the words to respond to that confession and that beautiful smile, but the door was practically busted open as Mitchell and Shuu tumbled inside. Cooper followed from a greater distance away looking both harried and embarrassed.

Mitchell and Shuu righted themselves and stood up straight. It was Shuu who spoke first. "I-me too!" Shuu cleared his throat. "I love you too, Grace."

Cooper startled as a misunderstanding formed. He thought that he too needed to confess his feelings. "I-!" he lowered his voice and folded his fingers, "-do too." a fierce blush coated his face as his eyes flickered from the ground to his mate.

Mitchell was not one to be outdone and saw this as a competition. "I..." Then he realized how hard it was to actually say it aloud. But a difficulty of this level was nothing compared to what he had faced before. "I-."

Roars shook the castle, interrupting the scorpion male. All present jumped up, alert and ready for what may or may not come.

Cooper dove for Grace's side along with Shuu while Winston and Mitchell positioned themselves between the window and door. They all used their exceptional senses to try and glean what information they could to determine the nature of the threat.

Winston was the first to relax, then Cooper. Shuu was the first to inquire. "Why are they fighting?" But his words overlapped with Grace's.

"The cubs?" I stiffened as panic set in.

Winston spoke calmly and decisively. "With Muir and Jason." Winston took his eyes off the door and stared into Grace's eyes. "There is no threat."

"All that noise is?" Even with my human ears, I could hear sounds of fighting.

"Two males are fighting," said Winston.

Shuu cleared his throat. He gathered that. He wanted to know why and who would dare.

Winston did not take Shuu's growling offensively despite allowing one of his own to slip through. "Over a Bai Qingqing."

My shoulders sagged as I returned to a seated position. Good grief...

Winston turned to Mitchell and Cooper. "Stay with Grace. We will take care of it." Shuu moved as Winston finished.

Mitchell was reluctant to miss the opportunity to knock around a few city beasts but then realized that he was being ordered to stay right by Grace's side. With great speed and dexterity, he avoided all the cushions and plopped down beside Grace.