105. New Home

In a room that could hardly be called quaint, a certain female slept like the dead for the first time in ages. She was bundled up in layers of fine furs atop a near-bursting mattress that was cradled on a large and sturdy wood frame. Although it appeared a bit plain in design, it was massive. The size of two king beds together, to be exact.

Although there were no tools that could measure the space, it was over 300 square foot for the room alone. Such a space inside a cave needed support which was given by stone pillars that were carved from the cave itself.

Those pillars were outfitted with hooks where baskets, bags, and extra furs were hung. those items, unfortunately, hid the detailing work that a certain snake male did to make the pillars a little less dull.

The room had two large dressers, two end tables—on either side of the bed—one window that overlooked the part of the cape, a large chest, and many baskets that were all shoved to one side of the room. Those baskets awaited the matriarch of the family to empty their contents as she saw fit.

A decently sized, already-stocked bathroom was attached to the bedroom. Upon a stone cabinet sat three bowls of water, a plate of sea sponges, a large half-seashell of simple lotion, and several spiky fruit. Inside the cabinet were furs with high absorbency for drying off and next to them, a stack of mostly hard soap.

A stone, clawfoot tub was pushed to the side where a hole in the floor would allow dirty water to drain to the outside outside. It was unfortunate that the tub could only comfortably fit, maybe two, but that was only the thought one or two individuals in the house.

The toilet was a normal chamber pot. Nothing fancy, just portable and easy to clean. Beside it were two baskets. One full of cotton 'pads' and one full of primitive toilet paper—made by mashing leaves together and letting them dry. Again, nothing fancy. No Charmin Ultra Soft.

The side room was pretty bare, containing only bed palettes and less valuable furs on top of them. The male cubs couldn't be trusted not to rip the stuffing out of a mattress or tear up good furs. Aside from them, only empty baskets remained. They were for the cubs to place their trophies in as they grew.

The living room was far more decorated. A ring of cushions surrounded a proper fireplace. It was a small fireplace, partially due to the fact that the winters were much milder in this place compared to the City of Beasts. It was properly ventilated. The chimney ran straight up through the ceiling. It wasn't beautiful, but it was 100% functional and not a hazard.

It was on that ring of cushions that many bodies lay in slumber. But they weren't deceased, no matter how still they appeared.

The kitchen received a good deal of attention. More specifically, the wooden table and chairs they would eat at. It was debated whether they should go with flat chairs for a time, but given how much trouble it was for the family's leader to sit so low during the latter parts of her pregnancy, Winston went with tall chairs that were sized to Grace's height.

Grace's chair had a cushion tied to the seat and back for her comfort, but the other chairs did not. They could always add the cushions later if they felt so inclined.

The rest of the kitchen was outfitted to allow up to three chefs to work at once—not that that would be needed necessarily. There were rows of cabinets off to one side that held all the kitchenware and one row of countertop parallel to it. A floating, mostly portable, island was placed in the middle of the kitchen for now. B0th the island and counter had a slab of light-grey granite on top thanks to Winston's efforts.

The kitchen was naturally bare of modern-day things like a fridge and stove, but it did have a washing station, like the bathroom had, and a very impressive spice rack. There was a small storage room attached to the kitchen, but it was undecorated.