91. Others

The weather cooled down, bringing the first cold front of the season. With the promise of winter's coming, Curtis remade his den. Even as a penta-marked beastmen, he was still going to have to hibernate. It wouldn't be too soon, nor should it last as long as before, but it still would happen.

Curtis lamented that. And despite the fact that the scorpion would not be much more active than himself, the irritating male gloated about it. Curtis took Mitchell out to 'spar' often for retribution and he was never stopped by Grace or Winston.

Unfortunately, Mitchell would receive extra attention from Grace if he wound up with noticeable bruising or wounds. Curtis learned how to control his newfound strength better to amend Grace's need to take care of her mate.

But Curtis was still uneasy, and Mitchell poked and prodded at his inferiority complex incessantly. As a fellow feral, Mitchell understood exactly how it felt to want something that they could only have dreamt about. But Mitchell already got it while Curtis could only grow a little closer to it.

Mitchell did understand exactly what he was doing. He also knew what Grace thought about it given her, 'you're an ass' comment from a few nights ago. He didn't understand what that meant exactly, but he could tell Grace wasn't happy with him.

But Mitchell was a petty person. He knew the snake's inclusion was inevitable now, so he had a limited time to hold his superior position, and he damn sure planned to flaunt it while he could. It wasn't like Curtis let him off easy for it, so he paid the price accordingly.

He wasn't going to stop though. He was a 'glutton for punishment' according to Grace, so he better live up to that.

Watching Mitchell pick yet another fight with Curtis, Winston couldn't help but cross his arms and shake his head. A glutton for punishment indeed.

Winston let the red snake drag Mitchell out the door while he assessed their room. Grace was chatting with Cooper about recipes while Harvey taught the cubs about the importance of cleanliness.

They were the only ones in the room. Muir was out transporting lesser important goods to the new village with Shuu, leaving Winston the main duty of protecting his family. Mitchell was often occupied with getting beaten, like now, and Curtis was typically the one delivering the beating.

It was brief, but Winston did worry for a moment if leaving Grace in their care for the cold season was wise. Curtis would slumber, Mitchell would be active only in the castle, and Cooper and Harvey were a little too weak to rely on.

But the worry vanished almost as quickly as it came. Muir and Shuu would be here. Grace was not helpless either. And if great peril ever came to her—his chest vibrated with a growl at the thought—he'd be able to appear by her side using the miraculous ability that penta-marks apparently possessed.

This was his best opportunity to leave and build a den for them. He wouldn't waste it.

Winston stepped out of the room and approached the two closest guards. Jason was a male who could not easily spread secrets and was strictly dutiful. George was young, but had a high level of patience—that was why he was typically assigned to watch the princes alongside one of Grace's mates.

"Are there any questions?" Winston asked. He referred to the time period he would be away and the duties they were expected to uphold.

Jason shook his head. Even if he wanted to ask, it would not be easy to. Thankfully, the directions he received were clear.

The young guard mimicked Jason. Shuu was in charge for the duration of Winston's absence. And the tiger castle was already used to the wolf male having authority. Those who disagreed with Shuu's authority, had their protests quelled by Winston.