97. Anticlimactic

I learned what I could from Qingqing about the Upas tree and shared it with my mates. With Qingqing's limited knowledge, I was able to soothe my family. Well, I wouldn't be surprised if the tree mysteriously burned to the ground, but I think the ape king will be allowed to live another day. No, I know it. Because I told Curtis and Mitchell that murder was not on the agenda.

The ape king walked on eggshells and avoided us for a solid month. I think that was a smart move on his part but thought little else of it. I did have Muir watch Bard and the wolf castle for movement in case, however. I needed to see results soon on the things we discussed.

I expected Bard to keep his word, but I didn't trust Rosa not to get into trouble in the meantime. Neither I nor Qingqing really left the castle premises, but the same can't be said for my cubs.

While it may appear to be overkill in the eyes of others, I made sure my cubs never left without at least one male, tetra-mark or above, accompanying them. It was during this time that I truly felt the weight of my past choices.

I justified a big family, but somewhere in my heart, I felt a little guilty. It wasn't a strong feeling, but it was nonetheless there. But now, that guilt could rest and disperse.

I was doing what was right for me and mine. Getting rid of Rosa, or any other threat, will never guarantee another from popping up. But having a large, strong family will always guarantee that my cubs and I will be protected.

A random belch forced its way out of my mouth, interrupting my thinking time. A burning sensation followed it making me utter a curse. My esophagus might not make it at this rate...

I placed a hand on my stomach as the acid reflux refused to settle down. "Please, girls. I'm begging you." I stood up to get some ginger mint tea, but Curtis pulled me back into a gentle embrace.

"Can they hear you?" Curtis asked curiously.

I was about to pull away but decided against it. Shuu dutifully appeared with my drink not a moment later. This pregnancy was atrocious, but having every immediate need fulfilled like this wasn't unpleasant. It definitely made it more bearable.

"Maybe," I said as I settled into Curtis's embrace. While I wouldn't say I was completely used to it, it was feeling more normal now. "But they certainly don't understand."

As if to prove me right, another burp singed my throat and the back of my nostrils.

Curtis frowned. He had no idea that female cubs were this much trouble. He shot a look that closely resembled a warning glare at Grace's stomach.

It may have been a coincidence, or the tea Grace was drinking, but her condition improved. Curtis adjusted his coils to include another cushion. Taking Harvey's advice to heart, he propped Grace up and made her as comfortable as possible.

When his mate took a nap on his coils, warmth bloomed in Curtis's heart. He would care for his mate and she would come to love him. If he became more attentive than any of the others, wouldn't she appreciate him more?

Shuu's puckered expression was his only show of jealousy. He had to admit that Curtis was being a good mate. Although it wasn't mature, Shuu almost wished Curtis would mess up somewhere so he could be the one holding Grace.

Shuu banished the thought and controlled his emotions. He knew better than to let that kind of feeling root itself in his heart. He knew what jealousy could do to a male and didn't want that for himself.

Winston chose then to return. He had planned to somehow share his feelings with Grace, having missed every opportunity since his return. He wanted to return her words; to express his feelings to her. But like always, the timing was off.