116. Verdict

"What do you think?" asked Winston once they were in the privacy of their home.

I rolled my shoulders as I worked out the tension in my neck. Cooper and Curtis flew into action, but one was faster than the other.

"Is this pressure okay?" asked Curtis.

His cold hands made me tense up again, but I paid it little mind. "A little harder." Curtis complied and I enjoyed it. "Thank you."

"Always." Curtis was very happy with his achievement.

Cooper, on the other hand, sulked.

I thought of how to answer Winston as a tiger cub leaned into my side. "Well..." My hands weaved through Grey's thick coat as I fully enjoyed the neck and shoulder massage I was getting. "I want to see how Qin feels when she wakes up. What do you think?"

Truth be told, I wanted to think on this matter for longer.

Mitchell angled his thumb at his neck and drew sharply along it. The noise he made as he did so made it clear what he was referring to.

Curtis did not like agreeing with the scorpion, but he did in this case.

Shuu was not interested in needless death, especially when the ape king did not commit a crime that he was aware of. He'd rather turn the ape king away...

Cooper didn't know any better and thought having the ape king and his mate here would be a good thing, if not a great one. But only if his mate liked the idea...

Harvey saw merit in having a skilled healer around but understood that his mate would restrict herself around the ape king. He didn't want her to bear that stress. If it didn't bother her, he'd feel differently about it.

Muir was not here to give his opinion as he had to head out to hunt in place of Curtis.

Winston did not trust the ape king. He hadn't before and still didn't. Smart beasts were dangerous ones and the ape king had proved to be a schemer.

But the ape king now was in a very different position than he used to be. He had no influence here and likely wouldn't be able to earn the same level of respect from the rootless and ferals as he could the city beasts. In other words, the threat he posed was much less.

"It depends on how much has changed," Winston stated.

I cracked my eyes back open and focused. "What do you mean?"

"If he has put his plotting behind him, he might make a good ally." And they were the ones in the position of power, not Bard.

"The threat of merfolk?" I asked softly.

"If they come, we could hand the female over to avoid conflict." Winston was keenly aware of one disadvantage to that though, and it seemed his mate was too.

"I highly doubt she will not find a spouse here. She'll end up taking them with or damning them when she doesn't."

"That'd be their choice." Mitchell snorted. "And one or two less beasts won't make a difference. You worry too much."

Curtis's hands froze as he shot a warning glare at the scorpion. It sounded like he was belittling Grace and Curtis didn't like it.

I rolled my eyes but could acknowledge it. "Nothing new, but you're right. It doesn't change much." And... "If they end up staying, I'll warn the villagers so they understand what pursuing her means."

Winston observed a spike in tension in the room and cleared his throat. "I will warn them." If Grace did it herself, some males may be too distracted by her presence to pay attention properly.