90. Faith

I hadn't told Curtis of my decision. I was still waiting for my family to be comfortable with the idea, but I'm sure he noticed the change. I invited him to every meal and went out of my way to talk to him about his mini den that he had taken to improving.

Indeed, Curtis was not so unobservant. He did not question the change and relished it. Even now, he was purposefully altering his small den just so he had a reason to keep Grace occupied longer.

Before I reached Curtis's room, I felt a certain bond flare. Not a few moments later, Muir came through the door. His eyes lit up when they found mine. I couldn't help the smile that bloomed on my face. It had been too long.

"Grace." Muir hurried to Grace's side and reached out to embrace her. Before his hand could reach, he froze and withdrew it. As much as he wanted to hold her, he was still painfully aware of his past failures.

I didn't have the same hesitation as Muir and gave him a hug. "I'm glad you're back."

Snap.

Inaudible to Grace's human ears, the sound of something breaking could still be heard by the rest. Curtis remained on the other side of the doorway. Bits of the miniature shelving unit crumbled and fell from his hand to the floor.

The tension in the air was heavy, and I pulled away to figure out why. Muir's focus was on me, but Winston's eyes had flickered to and from Curtis's room. "Let's go to our room," I said.

Curtis frowned as his eyes glared hard at the door. Even if Grace was seeing him differently, he wouldn't come first. He never would.

His nails dug into his palms, drawing blood. The sound of footsteps drew nearer instead of farther like he was expecting. Without breathing, he waited until those light steps, that he had long since come to recognize, stopped in front of the door.

The door—no longer just a curtain—swung open before I could knock, leaving my fist hanging mid-air. Curtis's expression was unreadable. "Hey..." I cleared my throat. "Will you be coming to dinner?" I assumed he would, but I felt a little awkward for the first time in a while.

Curtis's expression softened. So he wasn't going to be ignored... His tail wrapped protectively around Grace's ankle as he nodded.

Muir stood still with a cold expression. He was notified by Grace about Curtis. Despite what she may or may not think, he wasn't going to protest or cause trouble. He swore before that he wouldn't make the same mistake. And he would take that vow to the grave.

I cleared my throat. "Then I will see you later." I waited for Curtis to let go, shivering as the scales slid on my skin. It was a unique feeling that I still wasn't used to.

Curtis reached his hand up to touch Grace's face but pulled back when he saw the dots of red on his palm. The wound already closed up, but he did not want to get blood on Grace. "Yes."

Once freed, I left to catch up with Muir. Being able to talk long distance was great, but it still wasn't the same as being together in person.

Cooper and Harvey worked on the meal while Shuu joined Muir and me on the cushions. I couldn't help but glance around. I see my room every day, but I swear the cushions changed a lot.

My boys joined us. The eldest two calmly cuddled up around me and Muir. The youngest ones ungracefully pounced on the cushions, causing the stuffing to explode out the sides.

Ah ha. That's why we have different cushions. "Easy, boys—Dos, you too," I called as one boy who felt he wasn't included. He turned to face me, cotton stuffing hanging from his mouth.

I was torn between sighing and chuckling. "No tearing up the furniture."

The two tiger cubs were watching with unconcealed gloating. Even they knew better than to cause trouble when their momma was around. Their fathers always dished out extra discipline if they did.

Sure enough, Shuu gave his cubs a stoney look that caused the wolf pups to hit their bellies in submission. Tres stared at his mother from his flattened position, his grayish-brown eyes pleading for their mother's rescue. He was good and not involved in the destruction of the cushions, but he was being included in this punishment.

Cinco's mix-colored coat was the only one missing from the bunch; meaning, he was safe from whatever was to come.

"Where's Cinco?" I asked as I started folding under Tres's pitiful gaze.

"He was in the kitchen with Harvey and Cooper," Shuu responded calmly. His last born was trying to get any scraps he could. He didn't discourage that. In fact, Shuu applauded his son's ambitious, albeit food-driven, quality.

Shuu growled a warning to his present sons. The cushions they ruined are Grace's. They knew better than to destroy things that weren't theirs.

Muir wanted some of his mate's attention and tugged lightly on her hair. Using his eyes, he tried to convey what he wanted. He wasn't as comfortable asking for things after his previous mistakes and wasn't sure how to go about it now.

I wasn't a mind reader, but my mates were not incredibly complex. Not when they wanted something from me anyway. I patted my lap and Muir practically dove for it.

Muir happily rested his head and quickly fell asleep. He'd rushed back as quickly as possible and was pretty exhausted.

Shuu's eyes were full of longing and jealousy. He'd switch places with Muir in a heartbeat if he could. Next time, he should ask.

Winston returned from his duties with two grumpy beasts in tow. Mitchell and Curtis exchanged impassioned looks that were not especially friendly. Their gazes parted for the sole purpose of glaring daggers at the lucky Muir, their hostility towards each other redirected.

I almost rolled my eyes. No changes yet then... But that's okay. As long as they can keep their jealousy controlled, I can work with them. With Curtis, anyhow. Mitchell was a little too greedy to constantly humor. Give him an inch and he'll take a mile, basically.

What Grace didn't know—at least, not entirely—was that Mitchell still found everything so new. He had a mate that cared for him, and as a male that grew up feral, that would take a long time to really sink in. His constant craving for physical affection acted as an affirmation and proof that this was all real.

Another thing she didn't account entirely for, was that Curtis would feel similarly. The sense of belonging was a powerful feeling. More so for those who never grew up with it. It was why Curtis acted as Harvey's assistant at times, despite how annoying the snake male found it to be.

It wasn't like Curtis sought out that type of inclusiveness. For him, a mate that would love him was what he really wanted. Yet, it moved his heart, however small of a movement it was, to have that recognition.

Mitchell was a little different in that regard. Unlike Curtis who was solitary for most of his life, Mitchell was used to being around others. He didn't find a sense of community novel, but he sure felt strongly about Grace's acceptance...

After they finished leveling the sleeping Muir with their gazes, the two alternated between scorning each other and trying to get Grace's attention.

'The road is going to be a bumpy one, I can tell.' I hummed as I resisted muttering that. But I didn't worry about it. Not the part about my family, that is.

This wasn't blind faith. I knew them all and I'd seen what they've accomplished. I've seen how they've lived and how they've changed. We are capable of overcoming any obstacles, even the ones of our own makings. I sincerely believe that.