Chapter 53: You Mean Everything To Me

After agreeing to a picnic date between the Aprile family, it was negotiated by Maple and Claudio to which Dario accepted the idea and Claudio's wife, Heather agreed to it later on.

We see Dario and Maple as they were now in casual clothing whilst loading up their bag with some food they bought.

Dario was wearing a red and black checkered shirt as underneath was a white T-shirt, blue jeans and a pair of black and white Adidas sneakers.

Maple wore a white shirt that exposed a bit of her shoulders, dark pants and white sandals. Her hair was in the form of a ponytail.

Maple: Ready for the picnic darling?

Dario accompanied her and wrapped his arm around the moose' shoulder and got on his toes to kiss her cheek.

Dario: You bet. We're gonna have a blast with the Apriles.

Maple: You bet, it was the least we can do for Claudio helping us with those trophies and he got his ox meat that he needed.

Dario: Seth was generous to offer him the body itself.

Maple: Yeah, and let's not forget that moose that tried to flirt with me...what an idiot...

Dario: Definitely, and if that polar bear killed him then we'd be in deep water.

Maple: Speaking of polar bears..*looks down at him* You still haven't gotten over the Wendigo Incident huh?

The Americo-Macedonian went quiet upon that mentioning, the time he first arrived to Canada where he nearly got killed by the man-eater Wendigo. Having nightmares of the latter tormenting him to this day.

Dario: I...I don't wanna talk about it...

Maple: *sighed* I know it's hard Dario but someday you're gonna have to get over it.

Dario: It's hard Maple....*looks down on the ground* That dipshit made me think of a different way of his kind...but...

He looks at her with a smile.

Dario: I'll do it for your sake, I know you want me to get over it and I know it pains you to see me like this...don't worry about it, I'll try my best to get over it...

Maple just smiled and cupped the latter's cheeks.

Maple: I know you can get over it honey, you just gotta try, there's always a first try for everything.

Dario touched one of the hands that cupped him.

Dario: Thanks dear.

Maple: Come on, let's get going, Claudio and his wife are probably waiting for us.

With a nod from the hunter, the two then went to the jeep and started the drive.

Along the ride it was quiet, then Dario spoke up.

Dario: Hey Mapes, since you know my fear I wanna ask. What are you afraid of?

Maple was surprised at the question and looked at Dario.

Maple: My fear? Well...it's kinda complicated Dario..

Dario: How so?

Maple: Well, it's a touchy subject. Yeah let's put it at that.

Dario: I see, but I wanna know sweetie. You can tell me everything, all your secrets, mistakes and pain. I'm always here for you.

Maple smiled and then sighed.

Maple: You're such a sweetheart, ok..if you must know...I fear losing loved ones, and you're among those people.

Dario: What about the other girls?