Chapter 84

MADDY

His movements were so sequenced, it was almost as if he had planned it. A hand through his hair. Hand resting on back of his neck. Big sigh.

When I had got home, the flat had been empty - so I thought. I hadn't checked any of the rooms but there was no noise being emitted at all and all the lights were off. You could say I got a fright when I turned the kitchen light on to see Joe, sat on a stool, staring at me through sleep deprived eyes.

'Where have you been?' He asked, sitting up and removing his head from the worktop it lay on.

'I went to Maisie's.' I said bluntly.

'Why didn't you call, love?' His voice was slightly softer this time, as if I was a small child who he didn't want to scare.

'Why would I call you?'

'What's going on Maddy? What's wrong now?'

'Don't act as if you don't know!'

'Maddy, love. I don't know what's wrong with you unless you tell me, I'm not a mindreader.' He came close to me and put one of his hands around my wrist.

'Get off me.' I said, pulling away and walking towards the living room, knowing he was following.

'Maddy!' He called after me, almost pathetically.

'Explain that article.' I was surprised at how calm my voice sounded, almost as if my heart wasn't breaking. Inside I was a storm, a hurricane even, just waiting to arrive and destroy everything in sight, once again.

'What article? What are you on about?' Joe's voice was full of both confusion and humour. Maybe he didn't see the article?

'Did you not see the article about me? It was all over Twitter..'

'I haven't been on Twitter! What did it say now? I wish the bloody media would leave us alone.' He put his hand through his hair once again, the way he does whenever he's stressed.

'There was a picture of you kissing another girl, Joe.' My voice cracked slightly as I spoke but I tried to keep strong. I stared down at the floor as if it was the most fascinating thing I've seen, wanting to look at anything but him.

For a while, he stayed silent but I could imagine that he had a pained look on his face with one hand through his messy hair. I knew our relationship was always too good to be true.

JOE

For one of the first times in my life, I was speechless. I stood staring at the beautiful, blonde girl I had fallen so deeply in love with. I wanted to drop to my knees and scream that I love her, but I just couldn't find the words.

Truth is, I have no idea what she's on about. I haven't even looked at another girl since meeting her, cheating hasn't even crossed my mind. I was finding it hard to think but I was trying so hard, wondering whether there could of been a time I got so drunk and didn't remember kissing someone. If I told Maddy this, she'd never believe me.

I knew she was waiting for a reply but instead, I stayed silent and took a seat on the sofa. She was still looking at the floor but I knew she still was fully aware of everything going on. I retrieved my phone from my pocket and started scrolling through my mentions until I found the article. When I clicked on the link, it told me the webpage had been deleted.

'I can't believe this, you kiss someone else and don't even have the decency to speak to me about it when I confront you. So immature.' I heard Maddy cry from behind me, I ignored her and continued scrolling through my mentions until I saw the picture.