Chapter 78

We had the whole 'squad' (as Joe calls them), over in the evening for my birthday party. I insisted Joe didn't go to much trouble and he promised me we'd have a quiet night in but I wasn't too surprised when I opened the front door and found half of YouTube waiting outside.

I had been spoilt with gifts and messages from the YouTube community. Yet there's still some people I haven't heard from.

'Everything okay, love?' Joe asked when he walked into the kitchen to find me sat alone, staring into a red cup.

'My family haven't even said happy birthday.' I sighed. He sat down on the seat next to mine and took my hands into his.

'I'm sorry, Maddy.'

'It's fine, I wasn't really expecting anything.'

'They're you're family though, a happy birthday message is the least they could do.' He took one of his hands out of mine and ran it through his hair as he sighed.

'You know what, fuck them.'

'What?' Joe raised an eyebrow at me.

'You're my family, you and Zoe, Caspar, Alfie and the rest of your crazy friends. You lot are all I need.' I decided.

'You're all I need.' I added with a smile.

'Maddy, blood is thicker than water but can also be much messier. I've found loyalty swims better in water.'

'You couldn't be more right.' I said as I leant into him.

'So, birthday girl. How about we get you another drink and go join the insanity in the living room.' He laughed, standing up.

'You're full of good ideas, aren't you.'

I spent the rest of the evening chatting amongst the YouTubers and enjoying my 18th. I still found it crazy to think I'd only known these people for a short amount of time.

When the doorbell rang, I rushed to answer it.

'You think you was gonna have a party and not invite us?' Esme said as the door flew open.

'Omg!' I said as I pulled her into a hug.

'Good job Joe remembered us.' She teased.

I hugged my 4 best friends as they came inside, I was so grateful to have them. They made school a lot more bearable, making the days fly by. I got through the week's knowing I would be rewarded with Joe every weekend.

'Maddy!' I heard someone call. I turned around to see Zoe.

'Hey.' I smiled.

'Mads, I just wanted to say thank you.' She said as she pulled me into a hug.

'For what?'

'When me and Alfie first picked you up from the airport, I thought oh god what have we got ourselves into. But day by day, I've seen you change more and more, settling into our routine. You helped my brother find closure and heal his scars from the past and watching my little brother healing has helped me heal. I can't tell you how happy it makes me seeing Joe happy, and it's all because of you!' Zoe said, not letting me go from our embrace.

'Over these last few weeks, you've become one of my best friends in fact, you're like a little sister to me. I know it hasn't always been easy for you but you're so strong!' I felt tears roll down my cheeks as memories flashed through my mind from Zoe's mentions of the past.

'Don't cry!' She laughed as she wiped my tears.

'I'm just.. So happy.' I smiled.

'Me too! Now, make the most of being 18, being 24 isn't quite as fun.' She winked at me, pulling me into a hug one more time.

'Oh I will do.' I smiled and looked over at Joe who was arm wrestling with Marcus.

'Boys.' Zoe rolled her eyes and laughed before walking away. I went over to where my immature boyfriend was sat wrestling his equally immature friend.

'I don't care how many times you've been to the gym this week Marcus, I am not letting you win!' Joe shouted as his face tensed, showing he was putting more strength into the game than before.

'Argh!' Marcus shouted as Joe defeated him.

'Champion!!' Joe screamed and I let out a laugh.

'How long have you been standing there?'

'Long enough to see you defeat the mighty Butler.' I winked.

'I had to go easy on him because it's Maddy's birthday, I'm not gonna embarrass him at his girlfriends party!' Marcus laughed.

'Yeah okay mate.' Joe smiled.

'You may of won the battle Sugg, but I'm going to win the war.' Marcus said as he walked off.

'Who knew you were so strong.' I teased.

'Sugg strength.' He laughed.

'Are you enjoying the party?'

'That would be an understatement! Thank you for inviting my school friends.'

'That's okay! There's one problem though..' His face dropped as he spoke, even in the dark room, I could see all the colour fade out his face as if it was paint being washed away with the rain.

A.N!
Wow, it's been almost 2 years since I started writing this!

What a cliffhanger, eh? I'm working tomorrow but I should be updating this weekend! In the mean time, why don't you read my short story, Restless. It's mainly a Zoe Sugg fanfic but features all your favourite YouTubers (Jim, Alfie, Tanya, Joe, Louise, Niomi, Marcus). It's inspired by Pretty Little Liars episode 'Shadow Play'. Hope you enjoy?

Xo