Chapter 4

Chapter 4 - Maddy POV

It felt like such a blur, next thing I knew, I was on a plane going back to England. I fastened my seatbelt and sat back in my large first class seat.

As the airplane set off, I felt happy. I felt like I was leaving all the pain behind but I knew I wasn't. I knew a part of me would always grieve for Jack, no matter what I did.

I put my headphones and chose a film, I decided on 'Finding Nemo'. My eyes started to feel heavy even though we had only just set off.

I was deep in a dream about what England would be like when I felt something tugging at my jumper.
'Go away,' I mumbled.
'You need to wake up darling, planes landed.' I didn't recognise the voice but as soon as I forced my eyes open I saw the air hostess. The rest of the plane was empty.
'Where is everyone?'
'They went 10 minutes ago sweetie, we couldn't wake you.'
'Ahh ok thanks.' I climbed out of the comfy chair, grabbed my luggage and headed towards the exit, London BABBYY!

I looked up at the big clock in the luggage room, it read 7:45. I wasn't even sure if it was morning or evening, I hadn't seen a window since leaving as everyone shut their shutters on the plane.

My bag was the first one out so I grabbed it and walked towards the main airport. I just need to find Alfie now..considering I haven't seen him for 5 years, this could be difficult.

I have no idea why they chose Alfie, he wasn't even really involved in our family. I know dad didn't send me to Alfie's dads as they fell out and haven't talked for years. They wouldn't tell anyone what it was over though.

There was people everywhere in the airport, thousands of different faces I didn't know. It was quite scary walking through on my own.
'MADDY!!' I looked round and saw a young tall dark haired boy, yep that's defiantly Alfie, wow that was easy. A girl was standing next to him, she was caked in makeup, really skinny and hair awful shoes on. I went over hoping this girl wasn't associated with Alfie.

'Hey Alf,' I tried to be polite but I was in a bad mood, as always.
'Hey Maddy! Wow you've grown so much!' He went to pull me into a hug but I pushed him away.'
'You trying to call me fat?' He looked over at the girl with the awful shoes. She sighed.
'No Maddy, you've just got older.'
'No shit, that's kind of what happens over 5 years.' He shook his head knowing he'd made the wrong decision.
'This is my girlfriend, Zoe.' I looked her up and down, making sure I made her feel as uncomfortable as possible.
'Hi Maddy, I've heard a lot about you,' she stuck her hand out and I turned around and looked back at Alfie.
'So you've been running your gob off about me to this slag?' His mouth dropped open, 'some people never change.' Alfie sighed, I knew he wanted to put me back on the plane. I didn't want to keep this up but I was too stubborn to stop.
'Come on Maddy, let's go to the car.' Alfie said sternly, he meant shut the fuck up.

I kept my distance from Alfie and Zoe as we walked to the car. They were whispering behind me, obviously about me. I couldn't be bothered to have another go. I won that last fight anyway.

I stood at his car in silence, waiting for Zoe and Alfie to catch up.
'Do you want to sit in the front Maddy?' Alfie asked, trying to be polite.
'Nah.' Alfie and Zoe nodded and tried to stay calm. I knew deep down they didn't deserve this and I actually would quite like to stay in England.

'Maddy, we're staying at Zoe's house tonight. My house is a lot further and we know your tired and we're tired so just for tonight we'll be at Zoe's. I hope that's alright.' He didn't even look at me as he spoke. I knew I had pushed it.
'What's my new school like?'
'It's the one I went to, Kings Academy. It's quite big but it's a really good school. You'll be in Year 13 Maddy and you have to decide what 3 subjects you want to take for A Levels.'
'Why only 3? I did loads in America?' Alfie and Zoe seemed pleased that I was making conversation at last.
'It's different over here, you do GCSE's and A Levels. I don't know where you're at or anything but you've got a meeting at school on Monday and they'll explain it there.'
'What day is it today?'
'Saturday, December 10th. It's nearly 8:30 in the evening.'
'That's crazy. I boarded the plane like 24 hours ago.'
'The jet lag will properly kick in soon sweetie.' I wanted to find out more about where I was staying. I decided to just go for it.
'Who are we staying with tonight?'
'Me, Alfie, my dad and my younger brother Joe.' I nodded.
'Is your house big?'
'Suppose so. You'll have your own room tonight, I've spent all day doing it up.'

As Zoe talked about her house, I felt my eyes begin to get heavy again. I could barely keep my eyes open. The jet lag was kicking in, great.