Chapter 64

Chapter 64 - Joe POV

Maddy was awake by the time it got dark. Her words were slurred and actions were delayed. She was still the most beautiful girl in the world.

We laid on the bed together in silence. She was in my eyes with her head on my chest. I didn't ask her about why she did it, I didn't have a go at her for doing it and I didn't give her a lecture about how stupid what she did was, I just held her.

She was so beautiful and fragile, just like a China doll.

'You know what Joe?' I looked at her pale face.

'What, love?'

'I used to be so scared.'

'Of what?'

'Falling in love again. After Jack and Gabriella died, I thought I'd never be happy again. I was scared to be happy.'

'Why were you scared to be happy love?'

'Because it means you have something to lose. You're not happy unless you get what you want and once you get what you want, that's when you have something to lose.' I didn't think Maddy knew what she was talking about but I just went along with it.

'Yes Maddy.'

'Weren't you scared?'

'When?'

'After you and Sasha? Did you ever worry that you'd never find anyone else?'

'Not really, I suppose I kind of did but I knew all girls are different. They're not all cheating, lying scums.' Maddy shifted closer to me.

'Can we go home Joe?'

'Not yet love, we need your blood and urine test results back first.'

'Then we can go?'

'We'll see what the nurse says when she comes back, yeah?' Maddy nodded against my chest.

'Can Megan still come stay at the weekend?'

'Of course she can babe. We just need to sort you out first and get you what you need.'

'What do you mean?'

'Well first you need to come out of hospital and then we need to decide what happens next.' I kept my voice calm and soft, I didn't want to scare her off.

'What do you mean what happens next?'

'You need help love, someone to talk to, you know? I don't want anything like this to ever happen again.' She didn't even look at me, just kept her head against my chest.

'I can talk to you?'

'You clearly can't Mads. After last night.'

'I'm ok Joe, I promise.'

'You know, you don't need to be ok all the time. It's perfectly fine to admit you're not ok.' She looked up at me.

'I'm not ok..am I?' I shook my head.

'But that's ok, it's ok to need a bit of help every now and then.'

'Can you do me a favour when we get home?'

'Of course love, what is it?'

'Will you get rid of all my blades..for good.' My heart slightly melted as she said it. I was upset she still had blades, but proud of her for asking me for help to get rid of them.

'I'm so proud of you for saying that Maddy. Of course I'll get rid of them for you.' I moved closer to her so there was no gaps at all.

'Thank you Joe.'

'I've got something I need to tell you Maddy but you're not going to like it..'

'Don't tell me then. I don't want to know if I won't like it.'

'Maddy I rang your mum last night because I was so worried about you.' Maddy brought her legs up to her chest and kept her head on my stomach.

'What did she say?' Maddy's voice was a whisper.

'Not much.'

'She didn't care, did she?'

'I'm so sorry love.' Maddy shifted next to me but didn't move from my side.

'You're my family now Joe. You, Zoe, Tracey and Alfie. No one else matters.' I smiled.

'Can we go back to the flat tonight?'

'I'm not sure what time we'll be able to leave here love, it's already getting late.'

'But you'll stay with me, right?'

'Of course I will.' Because Maddy was under 18, she was allowed someone to stay the night with her. Zoe and Alfie left when visiting hours where over.

'And we can go back to the flat tomorrow?'

'Don't you want to go back to Bath love?'

'No.' Her reply was quick and blunt.

'Did something happen last night?' Maddy turned the other way and avoided looking at me. 'Maddy..'

She looked back at me, tears running down her face.

'He hit me and told me I'm ugly and nasty. He said I'm the fattest person he's ever seen and no wonder I make myself sick.'

Maddy started to sob. I pulled her into my chest. I've been feeling so guilty about last night and it was my own dad who made her feel like that!

'Shh Maddy, it's ok. I'm here love.' I rubbed her back placed gentle kisses on her forehead.

'The worst thing is, he's right Joe!' She sobbed even harder.

'Maddy listen, I love you. I am in love with you. Nothing will ever change that. Whoever says you're not the most beautiful girl in the world is lying. Graham's jealous because he knows I've done so much better than him, his marriage didn't last but my relationship is going really well. You will always be the most beautiful girl in my eyes Maddy and I love you so much.'

The nurse walked into our room and looked at Maddy sobbing into me.

'Could you come back in a minute, please?'

'Well I just came to say that the blood test is fine but there's still tablets in her body so she needs to stay overnight.' I nodded at the nurse.

'Thank you.' The nurse left once again.

'Maddy.. Can you look at me baby?' She nodded and looked up at me. Her eyes were red and puffy, her face was no longer pale and she had a runny nose. I smiled at her, I was so lucky to have her.

'I love you to the moon and back.' She smiled through her sobs.

'I love you more Joe.'

'I don't think so love.'

'I do.'

'Do you fancy going for a little walk love?' Maddy nodded and smiled. I wiped the tears left on her face and kissed her forehead.

'I saw something on the way back here that I think you might like.' Maddy smiled and sat up. She put one of my jackets on over her pyjamas before we left the ward. I look her hand and lead the way.