Chapter 14

Chapter 14 - Joe POV

And she was in the house, the house with no front wall, you could see right through into all the rooms. The front wall had come off with the explosion. She was just standing their watching me, I knew face, just not her name. I couldn't remember her name. I climbed up the house to get to her when suddenly there was another loud noise, I felt the ground below me collapse. The girl laughed and jumped down as I fell. I was falling, there was no floor. I looked out desperate for help, my parents where there. I screamed and shouted but they didn't even look up. They didn't care, they just looked down, laughing. I kept screaming and shouting when my mum finally looked up, there was no face, just a head in it's place with a hole right in the middle, she laughed her evil laugh, the only thing I can remember about her. She had no hair, no face and no voice. Just a body and an evil laugh, just like I remembered. The laugh that terrified me more than any horror film could, because when she laughed it meant I got hurt. And when I got hurt..

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP.

I sat right up as I heard my alarm, I was panting, sweaty and very out of breath. Another dream about my parents, why?

I got out of bed straight away for once and rushed to the bathroom to wash my face and wake myself up. I had the image of her face in the dream stuck in my head. As all I remembered was her laugh, and that she was very thin, boney and lanky. I remember her long blonde hair and her hands. Her big hands that often covered my body.

I poured cold water over my face trying to block out the memories, but I couldn't. I knew one thing could, I needed to speak to Maddy. I knew it would cheer me up.

I scrolled down to M on my contacts list. Amongst Mum, Marcus and Mike was Maddy. I forced myself to press call.

'Hello?' Maddy picked up after 4 rings, her voice filled with sleep and confusion. I forgot she didn't have my number.

'Hi Maddy..it's Joe.'

'Oh, morning Joe!' She seemed really pleased to hear my voice.

'I hope I didn't wake you up? Everything ok, how's it going?'

'No don't worry, I was about to get up anyway! I'm really good, Alfie's flat is really big, it's massive! I haven't met Marcus yet but Zoe and Alfie have looked after me well!' I felt so relieved when she said she was okay, I wasn't exactly worried about her but knowing she was happy cheered me up a bit.

'That's good baby, glad you're okay.'

'Everything alright Joe? You sound a bit upset?'

'I'm fine Mads, just a bit of a bad dream. Nothing to worry about.'

'You sure, might help to talk about it?'

'Nah it's fine, how was your night anyway?'

'Mine was surprisingly good! I watched some program with Zo, I can't remember what it was called, something about a church?'

'Broadchurch!'

'Yes that's it! She's obsessed isn't she!'

'Yes, it drives me mad!' Maddy giggled down the phone.

'I can see you rolling your eyes as we speak!'

'Yep, you're right there!'

'Hahaha! After broadchurch I had the nicest bath, I used one of those things Zo bought me in that shop, Lush? It was so nice.'

'Yeah I know! Zoe's obsessed with that shop!'

'Is she just obsessed with everything?'

'Pretty much! Makeup, clothes, lush, broadchurch, Guinea pigs, shopping, youtube, shoes, Alfie.. The list goes on!'

'Haha, I get the message!'

'I'm really sorry Mads but I need to go get ready for work now. I hope you have an amazing first day at school, you know where I am if you need me, especially if you need someone beaten up!'

'Joe, we both know you wouldn't hurt a fly!'

'Alright, I'm just bigging myself up yeah yeah. I'll ring you when I get home, have a nice day my darling.'

'You too Joe! Please try not to fall off the roof!'

'I'll try! Anyway, speak to you later.'

'Goodbye Joe.'

I hung up the phone feeling a lot better. Maddy was ok and was having a nice time with Zoe and Alfie.

I hopped in the shower and got ready for work. When I was all ready, I went into the spare room to get the sheets off the bed like dad had asked so he can wash them. I picked the duvet up and something fell out between them.

I picked it up, it was sharp and had dried blood along the top. My heart started beating really fast, I knew what it was and I knew exactly who it belonged to.

It was a razor blade that was clearly Maddy's. How could I be so oblivious?