Complicated

Tobin POV

I closed the door to my room quietly, careful not to wake Alex up. She said she was going to take a nap so I helped her get situated.
"Ok," I whispered to my friends, "is it just me, or was that weird with Cindy today?" They all nodded along.
"What'd you talk about?" Ash asked.
"She told me that Alex wasn't good for me. That I could do better." I said.
Kelley rushed up to me, "Tobin you know that's complete bullshit, Alex is amazing, and good looking and-" I stopped her.
"Yes Kel, I know don't worry, letting Alex go isn't even on the radar." She nodded.
"What do you think she meant?" I asked.
"Maybe she's trying to get in your pants!" JJ yelled from the other room.
"Gross she's like twice her age!" Kelley said.
"I don't think that's it." I said honestly.
"It seems like something...more."
"What do you mean Tobs?"
"It doesn't seem like a sexual or in love kind of thing, which kinda makes it even weirder." I said. Truth is I always thought Cindy was...a bit out there.
"So what do you wanna do?" Kelley said.
"I'm just putting this out there, but do you guys think it's possible if, we get a new manager?" I said hesitantly.
They thought for a moment, "Yeah we probably could. It might take some time, and we'd have to tell Cindy." Ash said.
"Ok, well we can do that eventually. But listen guys, could we maybe keep this on the down low? I'd rather have Alex not find out."
"Have me not find out about what?" I turned around to see Alex in some running shorts and a long sleeve tee I gave her. She'd obviously just woken up, as she was running the sleep out of her eyes.
"Tobs?" She asked.
"Oh um, it's nothing important, trust me, right guys?" They all nodded along.
"Tobin can I talk to you?" She asked. I nodded my head and followed her into my room. She shut the door and turned around. She sat me down on my bed and crossed her arms.
"Tobin, I go back to school in two weeks, and I really wanna leave on good terms." She said.
"And we will." I stood up so I was her height again.
"We won't if you're keeping secrets from me."
"Babe, it's nothing important, I don't even know the full story, but when I do, if you wanna know that bad, I'll tell you. Sound good?" I said. She seemed to look up and think for a while.
"Alright, but please tell me?" She said.
"I will." I smiled and she cupped my face to kiss me. She pulled back and looked at me.
"Lex don't look at me like that, I told you I would!" I laughed.
"No no it's not that." She smiled.
"Then what is it?"
"Nothing." She smiled at kissed me. Before I could ask her again she darted out of the room and started talking to my friends. We all ate breakfast together and had finished cleaning up.
"Hey Tobs, you wanna go now?" JJ whispered to me.
"Yeah, I think I will." I said.
"Alright, good luck, but don't go alone, bring Kelley." She said. I nodded and told Kelley to go with me.
"Alright guys, we'll be right back, we're just gunna go take care of something." I said. Alex gave me a look and I smiled and nodded as if to say, "Yes, this is what we were talking about, calm down." She sent a smile my way and we were out the door.
"So I was thinking, maybe we try to get to the bottom of this first, then we see if we still want to get a new manager." Kelley said.
"Yeah sounds like a plan." We talked about nothing the rest of the ride and pulled up to the studio.
"Hey guys, what are you doing here?" She asked.
"Cindy, can we talk?" Kelley asked. She nodded. I could tell Kelley would be the voice of reason in this conversation, which means there was already a problem.
"What's going on?" She asked.
There was a moment of hesitation before Kelley said, "Why'd you say Alex wasn't good enough for Tobin?"
"Oh guys, you really took that to heart, it was just something I said in passing."
"You don't say that in passing." I sniped. Kelley shot me a look and I sat back in my seat.
"I just think there's more out there for Tobin." She said.
"You're not, you don't, you're not saying you...like Tobin, right?" Kelley asked.
"Oh no no no! God no, girls how could you even think that!"
"Gee don't sound too excited." I laughed to myself.
"Then what is it?" Kelley asked.
"Complicated, is what it is." She said.
"I'm so sick of hearing you say that! Oh it's complicated! Well maybe it's so fucking complicated because you don't tell anyone!" I yelled.
"Tobin I-" I cut her off.
"No, you tell me my girlfriend isn't good enough, then when I ask why all I get is complicated!"
"Tobin, it's a long story."
"I've got time."
"You don't wanna know." Kelley just kinda day and watched now.
"Yeah I do."
"Trust me, you don't."
"How would you know?" I asked.
"Because I know you."
I looked at her, "We only met four years ago, and we've only talked about music." I said confused.
"We've met long before that. I knew you very early on. But I took the chance to get to know each other from both of us." She said. Her eyes spilled with sadness.
"What the fuck are you talking about?" I asked confused. She took my hands.
"Tobin, this is going to be weird, and I didn't wanna tell you this, not like this at least. When I tell you, it's gunna sound like a plot twist in a movie or a teen book." She said.
"You're freaking me out dude, just tell me." I said. She took a few deep breaths.
"Tobin, my name is Cindy Watkins, now. It used to be, Cindy Heath." My eyes shot open.
"Tobin, it's me, I'm your mom."