Minority

Alex POV

Sometimes, promises simply can't be kept. Sometimes love isn't enough, and it slips through your fingers like water spilling from a faucet. These are the thoughts racing through my mind as I sit in my dorm watching the UC Berkeley men's soccer game on TV. My girlfriend, Brianna's arm was draped over my shoulder as we sat on the floor. Our friends Ali, Mike, Paige, and Dean were watching with us. I must've not been paying too much attention.
"You ok babe?" Brianna asked.
"Yeah yeah I'm fine." I said.
The tv cut to commercials and a music video came up.
"Hell yeah I love this song!" Ali said fist pumping the air.
The screen started black and then white words lit up the screen.
"Resistance. Because if we fight, we might lose. But if we don't fight, we've already lost." They read. I didn't even have to look up to know that though, I've watched the video countless times. A white glow appeared, blinding the words from view. Next, a scene from a concert appeared in black and white. They stood waving and smiling. She walked up to the microphone, electric guitar in hand. She let out a chuckle and an acoustic guitar riff was heard over the speakers before they brought in pure rock and roll and vocals.

I want to be the minority
I don't need your authority
Down with the moral majority
'Cause I want to be the minority

They seemed to scoff as they sang. They were happy with this stance they were taking. I saw a sly grin creep across her face and I couldn't help but smile.

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
One nation underdog
There of which I stand alone
A face in the crowd
Unsung, against the mold
Without a doubt
Singled out
The only way I know

She started jumping around the stage, wailing on the guitar as the audience sang with them.

'Cause I want to be the minority
I don't need your authority
Down with the moral majority
'Cause I want to be the minority

Stepped out of the line
Like a sheep runs from the herd
Marching out of time
To my own beat now
The only way I know

The scene was cut to them in an all white room. Their instruments in hand. They wore all black and were jumping around with smiles.

One light, one mind
Flashing in the dark
Blinded by the silence of a thousand broken hearts
"For crying out loud," she screamed unto me
A free for all
Fuck 'em all
You're on your own side

'Cause I want to be the minority
I don't need your authority
Down with the moral majority
'Cause I want to be the minority

The next scene was them signing autographs somewhere. It looked to be filmed like a home movie, with the date and time in the bottom left hand corner. She caught my eye. She was wearing dark sunglasses and stuck her tongue out at the camera, but then smiled and held up a piece sign. Images of their individual faces then flashed before the screen, each making goofy faces.

One light, one mind
Flashing in the dark
Blinded by the silence of a thousand broken hearts
"For crying out loud," she screamed unto me
A free for all
Fuck 'em all
You're on your own side

Back to the concert. She was jumping more and more. Like a ball of energy. The audience was into it. Jumping screaming, singing.

'Cause I want to be the minority
I don't need your authority
Down with the moral majority
'Cause I want to be the minority

She pounded on her chest as she sang at the top of her lungs.

The minority
I want to be the minority
The minority
I want to be the minority

She let out a yell, and smashed her guitar on the floor. More cheers erupted as the acoustic guitar riff came back to end the song. As the screen fades to black you could hear the four of them laughing with each other.

"Man their music is the shit!" Paige said.
"For real." Brianna said.
"Don't you think Alex?" She asked.
"Oh um yeah yeah." I said and nodded.
"God they're so good! I can't believe they're our age and they're doing that." Dean said. We nodded along.
"Hey, we should all go see them sometime." Mike suggested.
"I don't know if..." I was cut off by everyone else agreeing.
"I'll go check for dates that they're playing!" Brianna said getting up.
Ali let out a happy sigh and said, "Man, Youthful Exuberance is the fucking best."