Strong

Tobin POV

"Lex you gotta help me out here. Who was it." I asked. She sat down on the floor leaned back against the cabinets. She put her arms up towards me.
"Cmere, I need you." She said. I sat down as fast as I could and put an arm around her. Her arms snaked around my waist, her face to my neck.
"Babe, I wanna help you, but you gotta tell me who it was."
"The call came from a pay phone." She said.
"Ok, ok." I said.
"It-it..." She burst into tears. I held her tighter and rocked her back and forth. After a few minutes, she calmed down.
"That was...my dad." I loosened my grip on her and looked at her.
"He-he said he got out of prison, but he had nothing. And, and my mom won't help him, his parents wont help him, his sisters won't help him. He s-said I'm his last hope Tobin." I didn't know what to tell her. It must be so hard. Her father and I didn't have the best history and he may have done a bad thing, but he's still Alex's father. We sat for a few silent minutes.
"Whatcha thinking Lex?" I asked. She sniffled.
"I don't know. I don't know what to do Tobin." She started to cry more.
"Ok, ok, hey, hey, shhhh, shhhh." She started to calm down a bit.
"Why don't we take a nap?" I said. I felt her nod against my chest. I stood up and carried her to my room. I laid her down on my bed and threw the covers over her.
"Toby?" She said. I turned to face her.
"I could use a song right about now." She said as she turned to lay on her side. I picked up my guitar and started to strum a bit.

Back when all my little goals seemed so important
Every pot of gold fill and full of distortion
Heaven was a place still in space not in motion
But soon

I got you
I got everything
I've got you
I don't need nothing
More than you
I got everything
I've got you

We went walking through the hills
Tryin' to pretend that we both know
Maybe if we save up
We can build a little home
But then the hail storm came and yelled
"You need to let go, you've got no control. No"

I got you
I got everything
I've got you
I don't need nothing
More than you
I got everything
I've got you

This weight's too much alone
Some days I can't hold it at all
You take it on for me
When tomorrow's too much
I'll carry it all
I've got you

And when tomorrow's too much
I'll carry it all
I got you

I got you
I got everything
I've got you
I don't need nothing
More than you
I got everything
I've got you

By the time I had finished, Alex was fast asleep. I put the guitar down and slipped into bed next to her. I put my arm around her waist and pulled her close. I felt her sigh happily as she brought a hand up to my face.
"It'll all be ok babe." I whispered to her. She nuzzled her head into my neck and mumbled an "I love you".
By the time I was awake Alex wasn't there anymore. I walked out to the living room to find her curled up on the couch looking at the tv.
"Whatcha watching?" I asked stretching.
"I don't even know." She said. I came and sat down next to her. She immediately launched herself into my arms. I leaned back so she was lying I top of me with the blanket over us. I glanced at the clock. 11:38.
"What do I do Tobs?" She said.
"What do you wanna do?"
"I don't know, he's my dad, but, what he did..." She trailed off. I hated what I was about to say. I hated it because of who this man was and because what he did.
"Lex, what he did was horrible, and you know how I feel about this stuff, but, everyone deserves a second chance. I would know, you have me one, and it's changed my life for the absolute best. I'm not saying, we take him in and have him live off us, but, maybe we just, help him get started again." I said. She wrapped her arms around my neck.
"Thank you for being such a great person. I know you and my dad don't have the best history." She chuckled. It's the first time I've heard her laugh all day.
"Hey," she said, "if we're talking about second chances, what about Cindy?" She said. I let out a sigh.
"I gave her a second chance Lex, and it's different. I love you to death babe, but it's not the same thing. Trust me." I said. She gave me a small nod.
"Ok, I trust you."
"How can you find your dad again?" I asked.
"Well we know he's in the Newark area, so I'll just poke around." She said. I gave her a nod and kissed the top of her head.
"You're so strong." I said. She let out a laugh again.
"Babe, you're the strong one." I shook my head.
"I'm only strong because I have you."