New Ideas

Tobin POV

"So cmon, tell us. What happened?" I asked Alex again as we all got in the car to go back to the hotel. She closed the door as we sat down.
"Ok, well I had just ran out of the restaurant. I heard you calling me, but I kept running. Once I'd lost you, I just walked around a while until I noticed it was probably time for you to leave for the show. I made my way back to the hotel. I was walking in, when I saw Ash sprinting out. She saw me and stopped. I told her, to tell you that I was going back to Jersey, that's why I went to the hotel. She told me I'd got it all wrong and told me the story. And that's how I found I'm that I'm a rude insensitive asshole." She joked.
"Yeah but your my rude, insensitive asshole." I said kissing her head. I was appreciative of Ash for fixing this, but I didn't know if she told her about the ring. I could picture it sitting in the drawer in my room. I felt like the nightstand was invisible, like Alex could see right through to the ring.
"So where do we go next?" JJ asked.
"Got a few more shows in New York, the we got some in Jersey!" We all hooted and hollered. We were excited to play in our hometowns.
"Hey, so are you still gunna go through with it?" Kelley leaned over and whispered to me.
"You kidding? I almost lost her, I gotta lock that down before it's too late." I whispered back making Kelley laugh.
"Alright, well how you gunna do it now?" She asked.
"I'll figure something out." I shrugged. We got back to the hotel and I collapsed on my bed.
"What a day." I said. I heard Alex laugh as she came back in.
"You played a great show." She said as she leaned down to kiss me.
"Thank you." I smiled. She walked to the front of the room.
"I'm gunna get changed for the night." She said. She got her clothes from her suitcase. I sat up and saw her take her shirt off. I smiled to myself. The curves of her back, the way her bones moved, she was perfect, beautiful. She threw on an oversized tee and some shorts. She wiped her make up off and threw her hair in a bun. I walked behind her mad hugged her from behind.
"You look so beautiful." I whispered. She laughed and took my hands.
"Babe, I'm wearing old clothes no make up, not too hot right now." She giggled as she took off her earnings. In one move I spun her around.
"Alex, I've never loved someone the way I've loved you. I've never been so in love with someone. I've never wanted to hold someone all day, and tell them how beautiful they are. I've been through a lot Lex, but nothing makes me more sad than when I realize that you don't see yourself like I see you." I leaned in and kissed her slowly.
"Tobin I love you." She said.
"I love you too." I smiled.
"Tobin can I ask you something?" She said.
"Yeah I guess." I said still holding her.
"How, um, how come we never talk about your dad?" She said. Great.
"There's nothing to talk about." I said sitting on the bed.
"Tobin you say that every time I ask."
"Yeah so maybe you'd stop asking." That was a bit harsh. I regretted it once I said it. She gave me a look.
"Ok I'm sorry. I didn't mean that." I said.
"Yeah, I know." She said as she sat down next to me. She started to run my back.
"I just, I don't wanna burden you with my problems." I shrugged.
"You're not, when are you gunna understand that. You don't always have to be this rock solid person babe. It's okay to not be okay. Let yourself break down. Cry. Let someone hug you while you do it. Remember I'll still look at you like you're standing in the top of the world, even with red stained cheeks. You don't have to be there for everyone all the time. You are and it's noticed, trust me, but the second you let someone be there for you it'll be a gift you gave yourself. You have a golden soul and it'd be a shame if you didn't get a little of it for yourself. You're the strongest person alive. You have mountains on your back and roses in your hair and I don't know how you do it. You're amazing. Don't let the mountains get too heavy. You've been strong for a while now, your whole life, so go ahead and rest your beautiful brain. Be weak but only for enough time to realize that being strong is something you are, it's in you, it won't change." I let out a sigh and laid down, my head in her lap. She started stroking my hair.
"It just fucking sucks. Because I miss him so much and I can't do anything about it. You know, I wanted him to meet you, and love you as much as I do, and I wanted him to meet his grand kids. He, he was the one person who loved me." I finished. She leaned down and kissed my forehead.
"Well now there's someone else who loves you." She whispered. We moved to lie down in bed.
"You know what I miss?" She asked as she put her head in my chest.
"What?" I said.
"I miss home. I miss Jersey in general. I miss pork roll, and skeeball on the boardwalk, and diners at two a.m., and I miss it all with you." She nuzzled closer to me.
"Oh my Jersey girl, we'll be back before you know it." I kissed her forehead and said goodnight. Eventually her breathing got heavier and slower. I slipped out from under her and tiptoed to the door. I knocked on my friends doors until the all answered.
"What the fuck Tobin?" JJ whispered.
"Ok, I need your help and I need it now." I said.
"For what?" Ash asked.
"I've got a new idea for Alex's promise ring proposal." They all looked at me.
"Then what are we standing here for, put some pep in your step Heath, let's go!" Kelley said pushing us along.